Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use OptimFROG DualStream Correction files? (Read 10136 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use OptimFROG DualStream Correction files?

I found that OptimFROG Hybrid/DualStream solution is better than WavPack one and decided to use it. The problem is that Winamp and Foobar does not play OFS files using OFC correction file  Yes, I did comparsion between wav that both programs (winamp and foo) produce with OFC and without OFC correction file and both were the same

My correction files are not broken cos with "ofs --decode --correction %file%" I get bit to bit oryginal file so problem is with those players plugins

The problem is on the all plugins I tested

Know someone how to fix it without waiting for developer to fix it? 

Reply #1
This dualstream 'problem' is actualy by design. I think Bryant originaly setup wavpack the same way.

For a hybrid solution I think wavpack is better simply because of the above and faster decoding. From a quality point of view Dualstream has some advantages, but the gap isn't big anymore.

I also think Florin should change the decoder to read OFC.

Reply #2
Correction files are never used during playback. And actually, if you plan to keep the correction files in the same location as the encoded files I see no reason at all why you should be using correction files in the first place. Why not stick with pure lossless compression?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #3
It all comes down to design. I suppose Bryant saw a future in DAP's so he envisioned WV files for portable use and WV+WVC for PC lossless use. Since Dualstream decoding is too slow for DAP, this was less of an issue for Ghido who chose to optimise the encoder for pure quality over portability.

Reply #4
My correction files are not broken cos with "ofs --decode --correction %file%" I get bit to bit oryginal file so problem is with those players plugins

The problem is on the all plugins I tested

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326982"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What dualstream bitrate / Q level are you aiming for ?

Reply #5

OFS's --quality 0 is fine to me and my ProLogic II system

Reply #6
RadLight OptimFROG DirectShow filter says "added support for OptimFROG DualStream."
http://www.radlight.org/products/filters/filter.php?filter=9
But in my tests (both for 4.509 and 4.510pr), it does not 'load' the OFC file in the same directory: If you do .ofs->WAV Dest->File Writer(.wav) on GraphEdit, the resulted wav file is totally different than the original wav file.
If you do the similar test with WavPack DS filter, it automatically loads WVC and the resulted wav file is practically the same with the original (except for the header that has nothing to do with sound).
However, I feel OFS is really cool too. Each has its forte.

Reply #7

OFS's --quality 0 is fine to me and my ProLogic II system
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327009"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wavpack 260-300k can give you similar quality. Either way you can use OFS and if Ghido changes the decoder to read OFC then your encodes will still be okay.

Reply #8
I sent mail to OptimFROG developer, still no response

My sophisticated logic tells me that something named "DualStream" should stream from both files by default and by a concept. Why it is not, I don't know

I did some RMAA test on OFS and WV and OFS performs great and WV very poorly

With or without automatic OFC loading OFS will be my hybdid format od choise

Reply #9
I sent mail to OptimFROG developer, still no response

My sophisticated logic tells me that something named "DualStream" should stream from both files by default and by a concept. Why it is not, I don't know

I did some RMAA test on OFS and WV and OFS performs great and WV very poorly

With or without automatic OFC loading OFS will be my hybdid format od choise
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327075"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I can understand, RMAA is used for testing soundcards or hardware. Using a RMAA test instead of simple ABX test for a codec in lossy mode seems like wrong criteria in basing a decision on which hybrid codec to use. Especially considering you can't get the correction file to be applied during playback.