Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ripping tracks hidden at start of cd's (Read 16060 times) previous topic - next topic

ripping tracks hidden at start of cd's

never noticed this before but my HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4120B does not seem to be able to rip tracks hidden at the start of cd's (was trying to rip this) anyone know if using image mode in eac gets around it?

i have been after a new drive though so this just gives me another reason to get one but the question is will my planned replacement (GSA-4167B) see tracks hidden at the start of a cd or should i look for another drive?

Reply #1
If that drive can read into lead-in, then yes, it should be able to rip the hidden track. See this thread, about halfway through. By the way, apparently, the drive Synthetic Soul ended up getting to be able to rip hidden tracks is the PXW5224TA. (I was never able to find a legit reference to a PXW5224A).

edit: rip, not drip. doh!

Reply #2
hmm according to this my drive (6th on the list) can read the lead in and im using the same firmware version as the people who reported those features. could it be bad settings in eac or caused by the fact i use a sample offset?

Reply #3
You want to have read offsets on and configured correctly.  You should be able to extract using "Copy Range".  Just set the start position at the beginning of the pregap ("Relative Timepos" should show a negative time) and the end at approximately 00:00.00.  I wasn't able to get "Snap Gap" to work correctly for this even after detecting the gaps.
I had to do this for Autechre's EP7 and it worked on my Plextor PX-W2410A.
Good luck!

Reply #4
I don't think that a drive that can overread into the "lead-in"(actually track 1's pre-gap), is needed for extracting hidden tracks(in the pre-gap of track 1)... Normally hidden tracks in the pre-gap of track 1, is located after the first 2 seconds of track 1's pre-gap(the first 2 seconds cannot be played in a CD player). When a drive can overread into the pre-gap of track 1, that means that the drive can read a portion into the first 2 seconds of the pre-gap of track 1... I don't know why some people only get silence when they are extracting that part of a CD, but i don't think that it's an overreading issue(since no overreading is occuring)...

-Martin.

Reply #5
Before I got my PXW5224A (I'm pretty sure that's what it is listed as on my PC!) neither of my drives (Toshiba MD1502? and LiteOn SOHW-832S) could rip CDs with a hidden track on INDEX 0 of TRACK 1. 

They wouldn't get silence - but EAC would just not rip the disc.  It would hang for a while and then say thay it couldn't find a suitable drive read command - even though the DRC worked for all other discs, and other DRCs didn't work either.

The drive here at work, a Samsung SD-616E, has ripped a disc with an INDEX 0 TRACK 1 track - Bloc Party's Silent Alarm - but the hidden track was silence.

I would like someone to finally state why some drives can and others can't rip these CDs, as this has come up a good few times.

Here's a couple of my other posts on the subject. (01) (02).  You will also find a few more if you search for "Stoosh", and/or "Stoneage"

Edit:  It may be worth seeing whether you have "Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out" checked, on the "Offset / Speed" tab of the Drive Options dialogue (F10).  I have no idea whether reading TRACK 1 INDEX 0 songs is related to lead-in or not - but I think it's worth a try.  Neither of my other drives (the Plextor replaced the Samsung, I still have the LiteOn) could read lead-in and they couldn't rip these songs - my Plextor can, and it can rip these songs.  Dunno.

Edit 2: Oh, and I rip to image files, and I don't rip ranges.  Ripping a range on these discs wouldn't work for me either with my old drives.  Before I got my Plextor I just used foobar to rip the discs, and simply lost the hidden track.  I have since reripped them all for my archive.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
I'm wondering, is there anywhere where we can find a comprehensive list of all CD's people have found to have tracks hidden in this way?

Reply #7
I have one, Melotron - Weltfrieden and I still haven't gotten a chance to rip it.

[edit]
Just to clarify my NEC drives will let me copy the range but it comes up as completely silent audio in the pre-gap of track 1.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #8
We could make one.

Code: [Select]
==============================================
Artist                  |  Album
Bloc Party              |  Silent Alarm
Skunk Anansie           |  Stoosh
Queens of the Stoneage  |  Songs for the Deaf
Lemon Jelly             |  '64 - '95
Muse                    |  Hullabaloo (Disc 2)
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11
2 Many DJ's - As Heard On Radio Soulwax Pt. 2 is another.  I've not been able to get that track... although I haven't tried very hard tbh.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Soulwax albums "Much against everyones advice" and "Any minute now" have a hidden track 0 also.

Reply #12
{Miocene} - Cellular Memory

I wonder what technology/techniques these manufacturers have to do such trickery..

Reply #13
I wonder if you could advise me whether the PX-230A  can detect/read hidden tracks?

Thanks in anticipation.

edit: link updated, other was based on session cookies, which timed-out 

Reply #14
Less Than Jake
Losing Streak

Reply #15
i had lots of fun trying to rip the queens of the stone age cd using my lg dvd-rom unit - no luck though - ive found two others for your list though;

Ash - 1977 [infect40cd]
Blur - Think Tank [emi 07243-582997-2-4]

- the blur one is particularly annoying as the hidden track is better than pretty much anything else on it...   

if anyone has any recommendations for a new drive (plextor?) im all ears - it seems daft buying a new drive just for the sake of 3 cds (3 tracks even!) but why not....

Reply #16
I'm well pleased with my Plextor PX-W5224A.  £23 from eBay.

For a list of some other drives that can successfully rip these tracks check this thread.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #17
I'm well pleased with my Plextor PX-W5224A.  £23 from eBay.

For a list of some other drives that can successfully rip these tracks check this thread.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346956"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cheers synthetic soul - thanks for the tip about the PX-W5224A (and the tip about ebay) - just got one for £20 - just hope it works now! cheers, sid

Reply #18
I'm sure you'll be pleased.  £20 - can't complain.

I thought you must be a brit from that album lineup.

When I bought mine the buyer was selling three at the same time.  I am happy with the £23 (inc. P&P) - but one of the buyers lucked out and got theirs for around £10! 
I'm on a horse.

Reply #19
Sister Machine Gun - Burn

Hidden track prior to the start of track 1 is a cover of The Doors' "Strange Days".  It rocks!

Reply #20
When i rip a CD with a hidden first track, i select "append gaps to next track" in EAC. If that don't work for you, you can do a range rip in EAC

Reply #21
Hmm.. just tried my CD of Queens Of The Stoneage - Songs For The Deaf in my regular CD-Player and tried seeking backwards in 1st track... no pregap there it seems...

Reply #22
Maybe your CD player just isn't up to it.  If you have EAC installed throw the CD in your PC and detect the gaps to see if it exists there.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #23
I'm wondering, is there anywhere where we can find a comprehensive list of all CD's people have found to have tracks hidden in this way?

I wouldn't say it is comprehensive, but there is http://hiddensongs.com/.

The rate of new listings is low but we could change that