Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to remember tracks i like? (Read 5106 times) previous topic - next topic

How to remember tracks i like?

I've gotten my silent music listening laptop all setup with foobar2000.. i got a basic infrared controller that works nicely with it for what i need.. basic play controls really..

I'm lying there on my bed in the dark with a pair of my expensive headphones on loving an album.. all of a sudden something special will come on.. how can i remember this special track for future reference.

Ideally i'd love to be able to press a button on my remote, which would trigger a hotkey in foobar2000 which would add it to this special playlist somewhere so i can go through this playlist at a later date.

Or how about just appending the details of the track (including path to the file) to a file.

If foobar had some kind of track ratings system in place, or if i could use my own with a custom tag in the file to mean, "great song" then i could somehow search using the foobar database and find all "great song" tracks.. this would be ok, tho having them in a playlist or a file would be easier to find.

Any easy solution to this?!

Thanks guys.. enjoy the music.

Jim

Reply #1
foo_quicktag should be to your liking

Reply #2
If you download the Send to playlist plugin, it'll let you use a command to send a file to a certain playlist. If your RC software works with command line arguments to foobar, you can then use:

Code: [Select]
foobar2000.exe /playing_command:"Send to playlist/<playlist name>"

Which will add the playing file to the <playlist name> playlist.

You'll also need to enable the "Also add additional entries in keyboard shortcut list..." checkbox in the Send to playlist preferences.

Edit: nice recordings btw.

Reply #3
thanks gfngfgf, that quicktag looks like it may do the job.. for the moment i'll just have it set a high quailty rating, for one button only on my remote.. changing the files may cause extra copies whenever i try to sync two drives of flacs together, not a big deal tho.. i'll remember to compile lists of all my files that i've rated highly every so often just in case. Ohh also it will make changed files fail any CRC checks i sometimes do to just check that my hdds are destroying my files.. thats a shame.. just have to have faith.

Phi, thanks for your suggestion too.. sounds ideal too, for generating the playlist.. sadly my remote is basic at the moment, just pressing keys.. i could install lirc and try to get more flexability but for now its ok.. a shame there isn't a component of foobar where you can assign hot keys/actions to command lines of your choosing, which it then dispatches to itself.. may offer a bit more power for little work.

Glad you liked the binaural recordings... really varies with types of headphones you have but its always a nice effect... i'll be getting more recordings online when i can.. i have a thread on HA somewhere where i post whenever i've updated my site if you'd like to subscribe to that thread

For now quicktag should do, i'll have a go at setting it up tonight.

Reply #4
As an alternative, foo_bookmark would work.

This will write the song, or the song and current position, to a text (.bm) file.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
thanks gfngfgf, that quicktag looks like it may do the job.. for the moment i'll just have it set a high quailty rating, for one button only on my remote.. changing the files may cause extra copies whenever i try to sync two drives of flacs together, not a big deal tho.. i'll remember to compile lists of all my files that i've rated highly every so often just in case. Ohh also it will make changed files fail any CRC checks i sometimes do to just check that my hdds are destroying my files.. thats a shame.. just have to have faith.

Phi, thanks for your suggestion too.. sounds ideal too, for generating the playlist.. sadly my remote is basic at the moment, just pressing keys.. i could install lirc and try to get more flexability but for now its ok.. a shame there isn't a component of foobar where you can assign hot keys/actions to command lines of your choosing, which it then dispatches to itself.. may offer a bit more power for little work.

Glad you liked the binaural recordings... really varies with types of headphones you have but its always a nice effect... i'll be getting more recordings online when i can.. i have a thread on HA somewhere where i post whenever i've updated my site if you'd like to subscribe to that thread

For now quicktag should do, i'll have a go at setting it up tonight.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330628"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using foo_quicktag_sql + Ati remote wonder 1 + girder 3.3 + a samuriza screensaver + matrox dual head + bedroom tv (if you like).

In this way I temporarily store the rating or bookmark (or whatever you like, of course) in an external database. Then, at my will I check the info and eventually I keep the relevant ones copying them into a real file tag with a simple masstagger script. With PlaylistTree I created queries like: "HAS __rating AND NOT rating" where the first is the SQL one and the second the file tag one.
I'm using this system to leisurely add the "tempo" and "situation" info to my 15000 tracks while listening them from my beloved Alexandra (a LazBoy rocking chair...).
With a 10 mt USB cable I moved the remote receiver in the middle of the house so I "shoot" from everywhere.
With this system you can even add info instead of replacing it. I do it with situation.

Reply #6
i've been playing with the foo_quicktag_sql .. got it installed.. rated a song, verified the original file is unchanged..

All i'm left with now is the tech info reflects the rating.. but i dont seem to be able to gather the song by database search or anything.. how can i filter out the songs.. i have to use playlist tree as you described above?

I take it i can use an external program on the db file too.

This looks ideal although i will be running out of space soon so will have to move files out of the way.. will it work ok with files missing that are referenced in the db.. then when i put the files back in the same place the tags will be assigned to the file again correctly? I'm not sure but reading the homepage of it it looks like the tech info stuff is seperate from the actual value in the external db.. its simply updated whenever the external db is updated.

THe bookmark thing sounded ok too.. wasn't too clear how it works.. only outputting a bookmark file for each music file, or do you get a big file of bookmarks?

Cheers

Reply #7
I have also now downloaded PlayListTree but am having trouble getting it to find a file with an SQL rating of 5

i've tried

HAS __RATING
__RATING IS 5

inside and not inside quotes.. never matches.. can anyone help on this?

Reply #8
scratch that the

__RATING IS 5

actually works

can't get the HAS one too but i don't need it.. it seems to work

Reply #9

You seem to be heading in a different direction now, but I'd better mention that you can assign hot keys to commands like that. Look in the preferences under Core->Keyboard Shortcuts and you should be able to find a bunch of commands labelled "[context / now playing] Send to playlist/<playlist name>".

If you decide to install WinLirc or something, you could use foo_lirc to do the same thing.

i have a thread on HA somewhere where i post whenever i've updated my site if you'd like to subscribe to that thread

Done. Although I still have plenty more to go through on your site.

Reply #10
THe bookmark thing sounded ok too.. wasn't too clear how it works.. only outputting a bookmark file for each music file, or do you get a big file of bookmarks?

You get one file (file name and location configured in Preferences) with two lines of text for each entry.

It's supposed to be a Winamp bookmark file - but it is just a plain text file, like an m3u playlist - so you can extrapolate what you need easily, possibly using a script.
I'm on a horse.