IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Wavpack compression ratio with mono music on CD
BoraBora
post Oct 13 2005, 22:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18179

First of all, I'd like to thank Bryant for this wonderful codec. I switched to Wavpack for my whole collection (2000+ CDs) since the 4.0 release and I never looked back. cool.gif The compression/speed ratio is a killer, and the ApeV2 tags don't hurt either. tongue.gif

However, while running some general tests on lessless codecs, I stumbled on some results that may be of interest. I happen to listen to a lot of old mono popular music on CD (so technically it's stereo, but you see what I mean) and I was surprised to see Flac -8 frequently outperforming Wavpack -h, which to my small knowledge never happens with stereo music. Something weird, too: sometimes, Wv -f outperforms by a very slight margin wv default. Here are some numbers:

* On 5 out of 10 CDs tested, Flac -8 outperforms Wv -h (actually, Flac -5 does too)

* The biggest gap is happening with a recent Presley remaster where Wv -h does 32,52% while Flac -8 does 28,09%.

* On 2 out of these 10 CDs, Wv -f outperforms by a slight margin Wv default, and on 1 of these CDs even Wv -h! (-f = 42,01%, -n = 42,76%, -h= 43,30%).

I uploaded an Excel sheet on my site with detailed results. If you have any questions, please let me know. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:41