Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Geting Lame to work with foobar2000 (Read 7726 times) previous topic - next topic

Geting Lame to work with foobar2000

hi used to have this working until my hard drive crashed and forgot how to set this up.  I got lame encoder the one off audicity.com.  All I want to do is rip some mp3s.  How do I add lame as converter and how do I set it up with parimeters ect as a custom thing to make it rip stuff such as 128, 320 Bibrates ect.  I hope you can help

Thanks in Advance!

Reply #1
Hopefully this guide will help, if you are using 0.8.3.

If you are using 0.9 it should just be a case of sticking LAME.EXE in your foobar folder and then adapting the existing Converter "MP3 (LAME)" preset, I think.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
after going to this step:

Click the "Add new" button below the "Output presets" dropdown. A small dialogue will appear (image, right), asking you to select what type of diskwriter component to use. Select "Comandline Encoder" from the list. You will now be presented with a dialogue to create your new command line encoder profile.

the thing is I hit add and the box is blank when you go down in list just the two presets are in it you cant even hit edit its not highlighted at all

I hope you know how to access this I am using v0.8.3

Reply #3
Make sure you have foo_clienc installed as well as foo_diskwriter.  Both should be included in the special installer.

Reply #4
This is also detailed in the guide.
By installing the CLI encoder component you will already have some presets included (NB: if you haven't installed it you will only have two presets in your dropdown list - both of which decode to WAVE).

In essence, download foo_clienc and put it in your "\foobar\components" folder.  Restart foobar and you will now have the presets listed, and the option to create a new "Commandline Encoder" preset.

Ensure LAME.EXE is either in your foobar folder, in system32 (in your Windows folder), or edit the path in the preset to the folder in which it does reside.

It may be worth rereading the guide to familiarise yourself.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
hi I did what you said about installing above.  I just thought that was a buntch of presets that I already had when you first get foo bar that if I didnt have if I didnt have but I do have comander line.  What would the parimeters be if I want to set it up as a custom to do for example mp3s in 128,160,320 ect.

If I remember there was a certain code you had to put in.  Im just confused with the parimeters part.  It does show in that comander line lame, lite, alt ect

Thanks again guys

Reply #6
If you go to edit one of the LAME presets (e.g.: "Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt-preset standard") you should take a look at the "Parameters" text box.

Your request is still a bit vague.  Do you really want 128Kbps CBR, 160Kbps CBR and 320Kbps CBR MP3s - or do you want VBR, or even ABR?

It may be worth taking a look at the LAME wiki page.

320 is a done deal, so for that I can defiantely say use this in the "Parameters" box:

-b320 - %d

... and change the "Display name" to "LAME 320Kbps" or something relevant.

However, for other presets you may do best to use the -V switches to get VBR files, which are really the best method.  Check the wiki page.  If you choose to use -V5 --vbr-new for example the "Parameters" box should simply be:

-V5 --vbr-new - %d
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
I am looking for the highest possable quality encoded from mp3.  I know its not going to be lossless but highest way of riping as in these terms:

CBR, ABR and VBR encoding methods

so whatever one you guys think is the best in keeping the quality leave me a expample plese of the parimeters for the encoding to enter.

out of curiocity as far as lossless audio goes is flac still the most compressed lossless audio out there.  I seen or read in your fourm about the new MPEG 4 lossles audio but hard to tell.  I hope to one day see lossless audio compress as much as common mp3s are but I know thats a good years or decade away

Reply #8
I suggest that you read the wiki page regarding CBR, ABR and VBR.

The HA recommendation is -V2 --vbr-new.  You should really do some tests using various -V settings to see what quailty you require for transparency.  -V2 is very high quality.

I don't think FLAC has ever had the best compression out of the lossless encoders.  Check the comparison in the wiki.  ALAC is stored within an MP4 container I believe.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
under List of recommended settings

I see this under cetain vbr bitrates

--vbr-new

is this --vbr-new  new only used on these b rates or can you not use --vbr-new  on 320 for example from what I see on the chart does not exist.  Or are you limited to what --vbr-new  is listed next to.

on the lossless side:

I've been out of the game for the last few months since my hard drive crashed what format for lossless is the most liked apon you guys.  What format compresses the best and gives you the best in quality and compression.  I been trying to understand those charts but some of the language can be confusing at times.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Reply #10
The --vbr-new tells LAME to use the newer VBR encoding method.

It is part of the HA recommended command line, as those in the know have stated that it produces better quality results in most situations.  It is also a lot faster.

You can't use -b 320 --vbr-new as -b 320 will create CBR (Constant Bit Rate) files at 320Kbps.

You can use --vbr-new in any VBR/ABR command line - it is not limited to those listed in the wiki.

The lossless question has been asked many times.

I can only say that I recently switched to Monkey's Audio to WavPack, as I think it is an all round good choice.  I mainly switched because of the better error tollerance; however there are many other factors, one of which being that the author, bryant (David), is very receptive to users' suggestions for improvement/changes.

The last poll had FLAC as the top-rated lossless encoder. I believe, considering the many posts I read on this forum, that WavPack is steadily increasing its share of the market.  I look forward to the next poll.  (How sad am I?!)

I think WavPack or FLAC are your two main options (others may be Monkey's Audio or OptimFrog).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11
The --vbr-new tells LAME to use the newer VBR encoding method.

It is part of the HA recommended command line, as those in the know have stated that it produces better quality results in most situations.  It is also a lot faster.

You can't use -b 320 --vbr-new as -b 320 will create CBR (Constant Bit Rate) files at 320Kbps.

You can use --vbr-new in any VBR/ABR command line - it is not limited to those listed in the wiki.

The lossless question has been asked many times.

I can only say that I recently switched to Monkey's Audio to WavPack, as I think it is an all round good choice.  I mainly switched because of the better error tollerance; however there are many other factors, one of which being that the author, bryant (David), is very receptive to users' suggestions for improvement/changes.

The last poll had FLAC as the top-rated lossless encoder. I believe, considering the many posts I read on this forum, that WavPack is steadily increasing its share of the market.  I look forward to the next poll.  (How sad am I?!)

I think WavPack or FLAC are your two main options (others may be Monkey's Audio or OptimFrog).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359211"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what is the codes for --vbr-new  for

128, 192, 320 or 2 somthing

Thanks

Reply #12

320 CBR (Constant Bitrate)

-b 320 - %s

128 192 ABR (Average Bitrate)

--preset 128 - %s

--preset 192 - %s

128 and 192 VBR (Variable Bitrate)

-V5 --vbr-new - %s

-V2 --vbr-new - %s

I wish I had more faith that you were actually reading the wiki and attempting to understand the questions you ask.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #13

320 CBR (Constant Bitrate)

-b 320 - %s

128 192 ABR (Average Bitrate)

--preset 128 - %s

--preset 192 - %s

128 and 192 VBR (Variable Bitrate)

-V5 --vbr-new - %s

-V2 --vbr-new - %s

I wish I had more faith that you were actually reading the wiki and attempting to understand the questions you ask.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363214"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #14
Why don't you just use Exact Audio Copy?

Reply #15
what is that I never heard of that?

Reply #16
The best CD-ripping program available. It's a free download.

Reply #17
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

which version from here do you guys recomend using? Also do I need that other thing cd something with it too.  Also is this thing all beta or is there a final version yet?

[a href="http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/index.html]http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/index.html[/url]

Reply #18
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

which version from here do you guys recomend using? Also do I need that other thing cd something with it too.  Also is this thing all beta or is there a final version yet?

[a href="http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/index.html]http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/index.html[/url]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363634"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Download the newest version, whichever that is.  It doesn't really matter.

Reply #19
wow I installed this last night its pretty cool I also like how it can download the album info ect is there any more data base sites I could add thats useful you guys can recommend so it can download the info

Thanks again

Reply #20
As far as I am aware freedb is it.  Personally I've never had a CD that freedb didn't know about, but I know some users have to enter their data.  I guess I'm too mainstream.

On a tangent, if you are now to start asking EAC setup-related questions may I suggest that you create a new thread, as it will make it easier for members to help you, and ensure that this thread is kept on topic.

Thanks.

Edit: To be a little more helpful:  It may be worth taking a look at these excellent tutorials at The Coaster Factory, which do a very good job of explaining how to set up EAC.  Alternatively check the HA wiki page.
I'm on a horse.