Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is SSRC deprecated since 0.9 b14? (Read 12193 times) previous topic - next topic

Is SSRC deprecated since 0.9 b14?

Is the SSRC resampler deprecated since 0.9 beta 14 and I should consider using PPHS instead? I was using SSRC for upsampling IC recordings in slow mode for Audio CD burning purpose, so is the change temporary or is the PPHS resampler 'good enough' replacement for offline processing?

Reply #1
Is the SSRC resampler deprecated since 0.9 beta 14 and I should consider using PPHS instead? I was using SSRC for upsampling IC recordings in slow mode for Audio CD burning purpose, so is the change temporary or is the PPHS resampler 'good enough' replacement for offline processing?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364134"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SSRS is removed as of b14 - yes. PPHS is the replacement and is in many ways a better alternative.

Reply #2
A big difference is that SSRS is open source while PPHS is not. But this is only relevant to developpers, not to end users.

Reply #3
What does the "ultra mode" of the PPHS resampler do?  Is is similar to the "slow mode" of the earlier SSRC resampler?

Reply #4
Thanks for clarification.

2 jkml. Yes, it is similar to 'slow mode'.

Reply #5
SSRS is removed as of b14 - yes. PPHS is the replacement and is in many ways a better alternative.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364136"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why is PPHS a better alternative?
.halverhahn

Reply #6
- supports arbitrary sample rates (SSRC didn't)
- no artifacts with e.g. 8KHz => 48KHz
- much faster
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
Back in 2004 Garf said the following about PPHS compared to SSRC:
Pro:

1) It is WAY faster
2) It can handle any sampling rate conversion
3) It does not have quality issues on some extreme conversions (e.g. 6000Hz->44100Hz) where SSRC breaks
4) It's optimized so there are no *audible* quality issues

Con:

1) The absolute quality is lower

I would recommend it's usage for playback. For processing, the SSRC resampler will be better _if_ it correctly supports the resampling you are doing.

Is this no longer true for recent versions of the PPHS resampler? I wonder what I should use for converting 48000 to 44100 kHz. It's AC-3 material from a DVD and the conversion is necessary because the target medium is an audio CD.

Reply #8
[deleted]

Reply #9
Both the SSRC and SRC resamplers are available as optional plug-ins, if you feel for some reason PPHS is not an appropriate resampler for your application.

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html <- SRC/Secret Rabbit Code resampler for fb2k 0.9+
http://otachan.com/foo_dsp_ssrc.html <- SSRC resampler for fb2k 0.9+
Thanks for that. It was new to me that there is a SRC plugin (not SSRC) available for fb2k.

You can try the search function of the board in the future.  I seem to recall this being discussed over and over again.
I did that. How would I have found this thread otherwise? Besides, you're not answering my question. I asked which resampler produces better quality, PPHS or SSRC, not where to find them. I know what was true in 2004 but I wanted to know how the current situation is. Maybe PPHS has improved over the past two years so that the statements of the past are no longer valid, but maybe the situation is still the same.

So, which resampler is best for non-realtime conversions (only quality matters)?