Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: what's the deal with qval=3 at VBR? (Read 3094 times) previous topic - next topic

what's the deal with qval=3 at VBR?

Hi there,

first of all: searching the board doesn't work, since "-q2" is too short for a search.

I am a little bit confused ...
Latest recommended LAME-build and even the alpha are using qval "3" at VBR.
It was qval "2" for a very long time ...

Even the documentations says: "The behaviour is the same as the -q2 switch. This switch is always enabled when using VBR."

LAME.exe says: "-h Same as -q 2.  Recommended."

So why is it "-q 3" now?

Best regards,
Tobias

Reply #1
Huh... can't quote right now the thread (i thought this was in the lame history file, but it isn't), but the reason is that -q 3 IS q 2.

Sometime around 3.97 alpha, a new, slower mode was added in order to improve quality (not sure about the details).

This new mode, instead of replacing the -q 0, made the scale move one possition upwards  ( so... old q 0 became q 1, old q 1 became q 2 , old q 2 became q 3 ).

There isn't much more into it.
Yet, note that for --vbr-new , q 2 and q 3 ( and 1 an 4 too?) are just the same thing.

Reply #2
ah alright, good to know! thanks a lot

"-q 0" takes only about 1% longer here ... I have to do some listening tests
(processor: P4 3.4 GHz)

Reply #3
note that for --vbr-new , q 2 and q 3 ( and 1 an 4 too?) are just the same thing.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes. In --vbr-new, -q values are arranged completely differently. I think even -q0 will do the same thing as -q3 when using --vbr-new.