IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

rhythmic noise on a CD or CDR
krabapple
post Mar 24 2006, 00:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10538

Ever have a CD or CDR that sounds sort of like a scratched LP, in that it has a rhythmic ticking or clicking or crackling sound (not part of the music!), possibly getting worse on later tracks on the disc? Even when there doesn't appear to be any defect on the disc surfaces?

What causes that?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Pio2001
post Mar 24 2006, 15:35
Post #2

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 73

CDRs becoming unreadable exhibit this behaviour. The damage is bigger on the outer part, which is the end of the audio track, and as it is located asymetrically, you get scratchy sounds for every rotation of the CD.
I've got a sample at home. I'll post it when I'm back.

If this is indeed a CDR loosing its content, it is much too late to recover the original data when the errors are audible like this.
+Quote Post
krabapple
post Mar 25 2006, 00:28
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 10538

QUOTE (Pio2001 @ Mar 24 2006, 09:35 AM)
CDRs becoming unreadable exhibit this behaviour. The damage is bigger on the outer part, which is the end of the audio track, and as it is located asymetrically, you get scratchy sounds for every rotation of the CD.
I've got a sample at home. I'll post it when I'm back.

If this is indeed a CDR loosing its content, it is much too late to recover the original data when the errors are audible like this.

I guess I'm wondering, what causes a CDR to become unreadable, to lose its content, but mainly in its outer circumference?What's the mechanism behind this?

This post has been edited by krabapple: Mar 25 2006, 00:28
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:38