IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Realtek ALC850 kernel streaming?
Fryguy
post Apr 11 2006, 02:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25922

Has anyone gotten realtek alc850 (onboard sound on lots of athlon64 nforce3/4 boards) working with foobar? I'm using digital output to a receiver, so I dont' really have any reason to spend the money on the soundcard since it's just passing a digital stream and not really touching it, but I'd like to get kernel streaming working.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Duble0Syx
post Apr 11 2006, 03:33
Post #2

Member No.: 13847

QUOTE (Fryguy @ Apr 10 2006, 05:02 PM) *
Has anyone gotten realtek alc850 (onboard sound on lots of athlon64 nforce3/4 boards) working with foobar? I'm using digital output to a receiver, so I dont' really have any reason to spend the money on the soundcard since it's just passing a digital stream and not really touching it, but I'd like to get kernel streaming working.

Any ideas?

I have a Realtek ALC655 chip as my onboard chip on one box. I use the spdif out on it as well. It only supports 48kHz digital out, and after reading the specs, yours does too. Which means it will be resampling the audio prior to sending it to the receiver. There is no way around this as far as I know. I use kernel streaming output regardless though, why not? I did not have to have any special settings in order to use it either. It's stable and it makes me feel better even it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the sound.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/product...modelid=2003101
If you want cheap, bit-accurate digital out, get a Chaintech AV-710. Optical out only on that card though, so unless the 3' toslink cable is long enough, I hope your rich enough to buy a longer one or get an optical to coax converter. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Fryguy
post Apr 11 2006, 03:37
Post #3

QUOTE (Duble0Syx @ Apr 10 2006, 10:33 PM) *
QUOTE (Fryguy @ Apr 10 2006, 05:02 PM) *

Any ideas?

I have a Realtek ALC655 chip as my onboard chip on one box. I use the spdif out on it as well. It only supports 48kHz digital out, and after reading the specs, yours does too. Which means it will be resampling the audio prior to sending it to the receiver. There is no way around this as far as I know. I use kernel streaming output regardless though, why not? I did not have to have any special settings in order to use it either. It's stable and it makes me feel better even it doesn't have any noticeable effect on the sound.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/product...modelid=2003101
If you want cheap, bit-accurate digital out, get a Chaintech AV-710. Optical out only on that card though, so unless the 3' toslink cable is long enough, I hope your rich enough to buy a longer one or get an optical to coax converter. smile.gif

What is the chaintech card going to do for me that my realtek doesn't already do?

Edit: also I just tried ks for the first time since upgrading to 0.9, and it still doesn't work. I have to drop down to 16bit, and then it actually opens the device, but there is no output, it's completely silent. Is there a volume setting or something that I am missing?

This post has been edited by Fryguy: Apr 11 2006, 03:50
+Quote Post
TrNSZ
post Apr 13 2006, 04:49
Post #4

Group: Developer
Member No.: 20

Why are you using Kernel Streaming output anyway?

If you do not have a good reason to do so, you should not be using it. If you think it sounds different or produces different output in any way, you have been incredibly misinformed.

RealTek describes that chip as "a 16-bit, full-duplex AC'97 ... audio codec". If you were using any bitdepth other than 16-bit before, chances are the driver was just truncating the extra bits, leaving you with 16-bit audio anyway -- except it was being dithered. This could, in theory, reduce quality. RealTek further describes this chip as having a "48KHz sampling rate". If you are using KS and you aren't using the Resampler component configured for 48khz, you're just piling on one user error after another.

KS on top would be merely adding to your placebo effect. I hear the effects of placebo are additive. *sarcasm* Please do yourself a favor and actually read the warning that KS pops up. You have absolutely no reason to use KS whatsoever with your setup. The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

This post has been edited by TrNSZ: Apr 13 2006, 04:52
+Quote Post
Fryguy
post Apr 13 2006, 05:01
Post #5

QUOTE (TrNSZ @ Apr 12 2006, 11:49 PM) *
Why are you using Kernel Streaming output anyway?

If you do not have a good reason to do so, you should not be using it. If you think it sounds different or produces different output in any way, you have been incredibly misinformed.

RealTek describes that chip as "a 16-bit, full-duplex AC'97 ... audio codec". If you were using any bitdepth other than 16-bit before, chances are the driver was just truncating the extra bits, leaving you with 16-bit audio anyway -- except it was being dithered. This could, in theory, reduce quality. RealTek further describes this chip as having a "48KHz sampling rate". If you are using KS and you aren't using the Resampler component configured for 48khz, you're just piling on one user error after another.

KS on top would be merely adding to your placebo effect. I hear the effects of placebo are additive. *sarcasm* Please do yourself a favor and actually read the warning that KS pops up. You have absolutely no reason to use KS whatsoever with your setup. The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Wow, appreciate the flame. I more or less wanted to use kernel streaming to experiment. I realize it's going to have 0 effect on sound quality, just wanted to more or less play around. I more or less want to get it to work "just because."
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:39