Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Depeche Mode - Remasters (Read 28848 times) previous topic - next topic

Depeche Mode - Remasters

-

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #1
I haven't listened but..The earlier albums like MFTM and violator were already very well mastered.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #2
yes, I also find the two mentioned, very well mastered... not clipping or anything (the CD)... but the CD ones now in SACD/PCM are close to clipping, if NOT actually clipping....

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #3
I have the DVD and they sound very very good IMHO. Especially Speak and Spell. The Bonus tracks are also very good. They sound cleaner and easier to listen to. The people who did the remasters did an amazing job.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #4
keytotime, from demonoid? LOL i'm djzn... didn't know you were familiar in here!

one thing that I've noticed comparing the PCM CDs with the old PCM CDs  is that the volume is much higher... perhaps another case of "the louder the better" thing? The new mastering sounds good on Speak And Spell but all the CDs are as loud as every new release...

I wonder if they just pushed up some minor frequencies and set the max volume... Of course then that there'll be a difference.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #5
The remasters done until now (around 2000) were catastrophic. Compressed dynamics with physiologic equalisation (lots of treble).

I don't know these new ones. I agree that the original Black Celebration needs remastering, because the level is too low, and there is room for loudness.
The original Speak and Spell sounds perfect to me and I don't see what a remastering could bring.
Some Great Reward sounds a little harsh to my ears, but given the current remastering practices, I doubt that this will be improved.

Maybe we can post a small sample in order to compare the sound from the originals and from the remasters. I've got all the CD from Speak and Spell to Violator in their original mastering versions, except Catching up with Depeche Mode (The Singles 81-85).

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #6
Two albums I have to AGREE that NEED remastering BADLY are "Black Celebration" and "Songs Of Faith And Devotion". They always sounded trebleless and rusty.

Yes... The remastering done up to 2001-2004 is not great. And I have found out that the bonus tracks in the new DVDs come from THAT same remastering. I just edited the PCMs and compared, looks like the same remastering. It's only the album parts that actually got remastered in 2006.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #7
Two albums I have to AGREE that NEED remastering BADLY are "Black Celebration" and "Songs Of Faith And Devotion". They always sounded trebleless and rusty.

Yes... The remastering done up to 2001-2004 is not great. And I have found out that the bonus tracks in the new DVDs come from THAT same remastering. I just edited the PCMs and compared, looks like the same remastering. It's only the album parts that actually got remastered in 2006.

Black Celebration is trebleless!? When i remember right it is quite the opposite. I am also interested in the way these days the "Remasters" sound. Short clips would be fine. I will fetch the old CDs cause i don´t have them at home yet. Most of them are bought in the year of the release.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #8
I have the DVD and they sound very very good IMHO.

What kind of DVD is it ? Audio or Video ?
What resolution is the PCM stereo track ? 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz or 192 kHz ? 16 bits or 24 bits ?

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #9
It is DVD-Video!
The stereo PCM tracks are in 24bit/48kHz (albums and some bonus), other bonus tracks are in 16bit/48kHz.

The DTS part is 24bit/96kHz.
The Dolby part is 24bit/48kHz.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #10
If someone can get some PCM stereo samples for comparison, I suggest Music For The Masses - Strangelove, from 0'33" to 0'50", as we already have some samples online from the french Virgin Labels CD :
http://perso.numericable.fr/laguill2/files...ion/003%202.mpc
And from the english LP (read by a Stanton Trackmaster EL cartridge) :
http://perso.numericable.fr/laguill2/files...ion/004%203.mpc

And Speak and Spell - Photographic, from 0'20" to 0'39" in order to test dynamics.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #11
you mean, the REMASTERED samples?
I've got Photographic (Standard Audio CD Layer 16/44.1 from SACD)...

keytotime please provide the strangelove one?
thanks

i'll post soon

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #12
Does it sound the same as the SACD ?

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #13
The DVD "Photographic" LPCM and the CD Layer "Photographic" PCM sound quite the same. I don't know as for the SACD coz I don't have that a compliant player, and I don't think there's such thing in my country.

But Photographic already sound very different from the old mastering...

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #15
I have "Photographic" CD Layer from SACD 18 minute sample requested in FLAC. But I don't see an option to attach the file here. Either gimme a email to whom I can send and post, or enable me to post attachments.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #16
You should be able to attach files in the "upload" forum : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=35

Create a new thread there called "Remastered Depeche Mode sample" or something like that, and post a link to this discussion with the sample attached.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #17
DONE! Thanks!

Photographic 2006 UK - SACD Standard Audio CD Layer

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....pe=post&id=2224

I also have the DVD Violator but the software I have here does not rip the wav to 24bits.
Would it help if downmix the Dolby as a stereo wav?

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #18
Damn that evil DRM monster... time to listen to all the things I lost when my vinyl collection was stolen... Napster subscription time.  Construction Time Again will be my starting point as it was the first Depeche Mode album I ever bought.  Think I was 13 at the time :-)

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #19
Cool! Not that shabby. They only pushed some dB. It sounds a bit clearer now but the echo of the room behaves different. I only can listen on my mini speakers and headphones at my PC. Tomorrow i will test at my stereo and try how it images (it is to late here to play loud)
When he sings "a white House, a white room" in the older recording the room echo goes to the right and the remaster doesn´t. Can anybody second this?

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #20
I found a MP3 VBR2 sample of Strangelove 2006. Would that serve as a sample or do we need the lossless sample? Thanks.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #21
They did a very good job. Nice surprise !

The left and right channels are inverted compared to the old CD, but I think that the old CD is wrong, because the 1985 french LP have them in the same direction as the SACD, and on the old Speak and Spell CD, Dreaming of Me is also reversed compared to the CDMUTE13 CD-single from UK.

The polarity seems inverted, but not completely. For low frequencies, the polarity is reversed, but for high frequency, they match.

The volume is louder on the SACD, and a slight compression has been applied in order to avoid clipping. Not the usual loudness race compression this time, but a barely -if at all- audible technical compression.

I've made a corrected version of your sample, with stereo, low frequency polarity, and RMS volume adjusted so as they match the old CD sample :

http://perso.numericable.fr/laguill2/files...K_tampered.flac

Comparing the two, they sound quite similar. No fancy equalization. The SACD even sounds a bit better for me, because the voice is well centered, while it leans a bit to the right side on the old CD.
ABX between offset corrected samples : 16/16

The SACD standard layer has -1 dB between 2 kHz and 5 kHz, +1 dB between 7 kHz and 10 kHz, and -3 dB between 15 kHz and 20 kHz.

It makes it sound softer than the old CD.
The speed are different, the new version runs 0.2 % slower than the old. Thus the pitch is 1/60th of a tone lower, which should not be audible, except for extremely well trained ears.
I wonder if this is because they started from an analog master, or if the digital data went through asynchronous sample rate conversion. The fact that the polarity is mixed seems to imply that this is a remix done from a multitrack master.

I found a MP3 VBR2 sample of Strangelove 2006. Would that serve as a sample or do we need the lossless sample? Thanks.

This is OK for the time being, as long as it is not longer than 30 seconds.

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #22
WOW! Did you do your diploma thesis in this short time? This is unfair i only used my ears

Depeche Mode - Remasters

Reply #24
I went fast because I didn't take the time to re-upload the offset corrected samples for ABX comparison, and I didn't post links to the other recordings references in depmod.com