Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Autumn 2006 Listening Test (Read 11006 times) previous topic - next topic

Autumn 2006 Listening Test

Autumn 2006 Listening Test: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=47313

[attachment=2419:attachment]
l3enc 1.0 from raw PCM:
[attachment=2425:attachment]
l3enc 1.0 from wave:
[attachment=2426:attachment]

- l3enc encoded the "PCM version" correctly.
- the "wave version" demonstrates this problem: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=420778

Edit

Removed the samples to make room.

Reply #1
ha! now my killer pre-echo sample comes! here (preecho2.flac)

and the old one (also for preecho, focus on fourth "clap" or snare or whatever): here (scooter_fixed.flac)

both are by no means transparent even at -V 2 

J.M.

Reply #2
Maybe it's not important  what samples to use. There are hundred of samples already from previous tests.
More important thing will be choose  samples of various music styles, speech  with possible background music, artificial sounds. But there are already hundred of this kind of samples.

Reply #3
I didn't try to propose my sample to be used as a test sample.

I just wanted to show that the other contenders except LAME are quite bad at 128 kbps even with this kind of simple old fashioned hard rock track.

Hopefully someone actually tries this sample with some of the discussed MP3 encoders.

- The first about three seconds are quite easy to ABX
- Use a relatively high volume level, the original CD is old and not very loud or compressed.

Reply #4
MrQuestionMan reports:

- RealPlayer 10.5 MP3 @ VBR 128 kbps
- GoGo 3.13 MP3 @ -a -b 135 -q 2

Edit

Removed the attachment to make room.