Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [request] Tagging Panel (Read 6609 times) previous topic - next topic

[request] Tagging Panel

Hello!

I want to catalogize my music collection the following:
- 15-20 fixed genres -> assigning several to each track (e.g. "rock" and "latin")
- 4 Speeds
- ~10 "where/when to play" -> also several per track (e.g. "chilling" and "driving")

With the properties-dialog you would have to type all the genres and whentoplays manually each time - quite annoying with several thousands of mp3s i think.

Here is my idea:
- A (follow-cursor) Panel in which you have Checkboxes for genres and whentoplay and radiobuttons for the speed, just like this:

To make it more universal and configurable (just as foobar is) you could give it a modular structure (like e.g. browser-panels)
Then everyone could build up his own interface by adding individual panels out of this list (and arranging them with the help of splitters):
  • Infofield:  just displays                                e.g. %filename%
  • Textbox:  editable                                      e.g. ARTIST (-> just as the inline-editing)
  • Textfield:  as Textbox, but multiline              e.g. COMMENT
  • Checkbox: just yes/no                                e.g. ISCOMPLETEALBUM, ALREADY_TAGGED, SKIP, ...
  • Radiobuttons:  predefined values, only one selectable                  e.g. SPEED, RATING
  • Checkboxgroup:  predefined values, multiple selection                e.g. GENRE or WHENTOPLAY
... and maybe a "button panel", which contains a save button and a dropdownlist for autosaving mode (just as in the "file info box")

For the checkboxgroup:
- always shows predefined values, the ones a track already has, should be already marked
- if a track has other values in this field, it is displayed at the top or bottom of the list (marked)
- They should be embedded in a scrollng bar

Thats my idea...

I could maybe progamm it myself. But all i know is a bit of java. I've never seen a piece of c++ code and never written a foobar-plugin. So it would be quite a headache for me to write this component.

That's why I'm asking if anybody who has the practice of making foobar-plugin could realize this idea.

... this would be far too great!

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #1
I really like this idea. If someone could create a nice GUI for creating custom tagging panels it would be amazing. There could be options for textboxes, radiobuttons, dropdowns, etc. Please, somebody take on this project.

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #2
I really think, for one who has already written a component (especially if it deals with tagging) this should be a thing of one afternoon, but in all cases less than 2 days.

... but if no one wants to, maybe i'll try to do it myself. But i would be graceful if someone then could give me some advice if I need it.

With this component availibe, there would not be much arguments left not to name foobar THE perfect Audio player

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #3
Great idea. I'd definitely use this if it was as customizable as your concept. It would be great for adding AMG's list of moods, themes, and styles/genres.

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #4
Let's keep this idea alive

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #5
I just love the idea. Looks awsome. If someone can get this done he would be my official hero.

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #6
You can add my voice here, too ...!!

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #7
this has been discussed quite a long time ago. it would be nice though it would have to be configurable and i would vote for it to work with custom info too ...

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #8
this has been discussed quite a long time ago. it would be nice though it would have to be configurable and i would vote for it to work with custom info too ...

can you give a link to this old discussion?

... if I find the time, i'll put my nose into c++ and i'll try to make this plugin (it's my idea, anyway...). But it won't be as good as if a c++&foobar-plugin-experienced person would make it!

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #9
I don't see why you guys just don't use a script, then attach it onto the context menu :X

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #10
I don't see why you guys just don't use a script, then attach it onto the context menu :X

How would you create a script that allowed you to chose one of 10 (or however many were listed) genres?  I don't think this is possible, I think you would actually need 10 different scripts (just for the genre and then a number more for the moods).

[request] Tagging Panel

Reply #11
... just made and published a workaround, which uses 15buttons asigned to 15 scripts.

Quite time-intensive to set up & not as comfortable as a plugin, but for me, the effort needed is still less than to make a plugin.

One main-disadvantage is that you don't have your genres ordered (unless you always click the buttons in the same (...euhm... whats the word...) sequence). Like this, you will have one file with "latin, rock, ska" - and another one with "rock, latin, ska" - quite confusing not very nice to look at i think.

But maybe sometime somebody will make this component... hopefully.