Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Prerelease of Cdparanoia 10.0 (Read 23688 times) previous topic - next topic

Prerelease of Cdparanoia 10.0

A new prerelease of cdparanoia, the CD-ripping backend for *nix, is now out.

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/paranoia-a...ust/000006.html

Hello all,

Cdparanoia 10pre0 is now up at xiph.org as a test release of the
upcoming 10.0, the first official release of cdparanoia in five years.
This release marks a return of cdparanoia to active development here
at xiph.org.

The 10.0 release brings cdparanoia up to date with bugfixes, submitted
patches and kernel interface changes over the period since the release
of 9.8 back in 2001.  Most importantly, cdparanoia adds official
support for SG_IO.  There are no new features in this release; it's
intended to bring the project up to date before resuming development.
<snip>
For now, please build from the build system
(configure/make), not your distributions package tools.

Happy hacking!

Monty

Monty urges people to test the new version. Its SG_IO routines are different from Red Hat's or Fedora's.

Source downloads: http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/
In SVN: http://svn.xiph.org/tags/paranoia-III-10pre0/

Reply #1
Thats good news  All the updates and possible new features

Lets hope in the near futre Spoon and Monty, or whoever is developing can get AccurateRip intergrated somehow, that would be a fantastic move...not sure how it would work with licenses though?

Kristian

Reply #2
Great news! Shouldn't this be in News Submissions?

Reply #4
Very welcome news indeed. A big thank you to Monty and co. for taking the time to do this.

Reply #5
Lets hope in the near futre Spoon and Monty, or whoever is developing can get AccurateRip intergrated somehow, that would be a fantastic move...not sure how it would work with licenses though?

Kristian

AccurateRip is not open-source though? 

Cdparanoia 10pre0 is now up at xiph.org as a test release of the
upcoming 10.0, the first official release of cdparanoia in five years.
This release marks a return of cdparanoia to active development here
at xiph.org.

That's always great news. I wonder what ideas he has in store for release 10.0?
budding I.T professional

Reply #6

AccurateRip is closed source, CDParanoia is GPLd.

Read: won't happen.

Edit: that's also the reason why you won't see AccurateRip in CDex (unless Faber decides to ignore the GPL again)

Reply #7
ah, for whatever reason i thought it was under bsd, which would have been ok.

can a gpl app not link to a closed source dll then?

kristian

Reply #8
ah, for whatever reason I thought it was under BSD, which would have been ok.

can a GPL app not link to a closed source dll then?

kristian

Their can be a hybrid license like Foobar2000 partial BSD. Most people who develop software though sway in one direction or another. I like AccurateRip, but I won't discuss how ridiculous their motto is  . Most of the time Windows developers won't GPL their code for whatever reason, while Linux and OS/X developers will make it cross-platform so that it can run on Windows, OS/X, and Linux.
budding I.T professional

Reply #9
A new prerelease of cdparanoia, the CD-ripping backend for *nix, is now out.
Monty urges people to test the new version. Its SG_IO routines are different from Red Hat's or Fedora's.

OK, I'm using Fedora... I've downloaded sources, compiled them, but didn't made make or make install, because I'm unsure what to do with it... and on site explanation isn't very clear.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #10
Well, you should probably install it to your ~/bin/ directory. I use ./configure --prefix=/home/kjoonlee for that.

If you have a SCSI CD-ROM, or if you still use IDE-SCSI emulation, try ripping CDs with the new ~/bin/cdparanoia with /dev/scd0 or /dev/sg0 or whatever your device is.

edit: wording

Reply #11
Speaking of license troubles... the never-ending fight between Schily (Jörg Schilling) and the rest of the world has recently escalated again. For those who don't know him, he's the one who created libsg, mkisofs, cdrtools and so on...

How does Schilling's decision to use the CDDL for some parts of his releases affected the cdparanoia profect? Since the CDDL is very likely to be incompliant with the GPL.

Reply #12
How does Schilling's decision to use the CDDL for some parts of his releases affected the cdparanoia profect? Since the CDDL is very likely to be incompliant with the GPL.

These programmers need to stop coming up with their own licenses. It's the kind of thing that should be left up to a patent attorney who is skilled in the field  . They think they can do it all 
budding I.T professional

Reply #13
How's the cache-issue coming along? Will it be updated to deal with modern drives with large caches?
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #15
can a gpl app not link to a closed source dll then?

Only if the developer of the GPL app adds a special exception to his license. And most choose not to, because that opens a big licensing can of worms.

Speaking of license troubles... the never-ending fight between Schily (Jörg Schilling) and the rest of the world has recently escalated again. For those who don't know him, he's the one who created libsg, mkisofs, cdrtools and so on...

I honestly gave up trying to understand Schilling's reasons to keep juggling around licenses, and filed it off as a bad case of attention whoreism (yeah, I just made that up).

Does cdparanoia use code from Schilling's tools?

Even if that's the case, it wouldn't be a problem, since it would be using code that was originally licensed under the GPL.

These programmers need to stop coming up with their own licenses. It's the kind of thing that should be left up to a patent attorney who is skilled in the field.

For the last time: copyright (which is what these licenses deal with) has nothing to do with patents!

Reply #16
HotshotGG probably just meant "intellectual property lawyers."

Thats good news  All the updates and possible new features

Kristian

cdparanoia is a back-end, and AccurateRip is a database. It would be possible for a separate closed-source app to use cdparanoia as a separate back-end and use AccurateRip.

But no AccurateRip support will be in cdparanoia, because cdparanoia is just a back-end.

Reply #17
Well, you should probably install it to your ~/bin/ directory. I use ./configure --prefix=/home/kjoonlee for that.
If you have a SCSI CD-ROM, or if you still use IDE-SCSI emulation, try ripping CDs with the new ~/bin/cdparanoia with /dev/scd0 or /dev/sg0 or whatever your device is.

OK, I will backup my old CDparanoia libs and use new ones. But one thing troubles me... I've ripped one CD with SoundJuicer, and as I understood that program works with paranoia libs... or is it not? I'm fairly new to Linux, but I am trying to conquer it  so, if you'd tell me an app for extracting with paranoia libs, I'd gladly replace libraries and begin testing ripping... because this Sound Juicer has ripped perfectly clean disc with a lot of glitches.
I have Liteon DVDRW, it caches audio, so If I replace it, it should be better?

(edit)

OK, I've found GRip, so I'm using it - it uses for sure paranoia library... will test it for a while.

Reply #19
OK, I've found GRip, so I'm using it - it uses for sure paranoia library... will test it for a while.

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't know about libcdparanoia. You'd have to take extra care if you use programs that use the cdparanoia library without using the cdparanoia binary executable.

But if you can point GRip to the /path/to/new/cdparanoia, then you should be all set.

Reply #20
I think the standard KDE audio extraction uses cdparanoia as well.

Reply #21
I think the standard KDE audio extraction uses cdparanoia as well.

Thats correct, which is KAudioCreator.
An eye for eye will make the whole world blind

Reply #22
HotshotGG probably just meant "intellectual property lawyers."

Yes thank you for clarifying that. That is what I meant, but I just shortened it. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #23
[deleted]

Reply #24
Oops, sorry about that. I didn't know about libcdparanoia. You'd have to take extra care if you use programs that use the cdparanoia library without using the cdparanoia binary executable.
But if you can point GRip to the /path/to/new/cdparanoia, then you should be all set.

No, my error there... I ment library as in "external program"... I used windows since 3.11, I'm used to libraries...
/usr/bin/cdparanoia

cdparanoia III release 10pre0 (August 29, 2006)
© 2006 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiph.Org

That's it.