Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why aren't I getting 192kbps? (Read 4781 times) previous topic - next topic

Why aren't I getting 192kbps?

I'm, using EAC with Lame 3.97 and have it set up to encode at 192kbps VBR (according to the tutorial) but when I look at a file in Media Monkey or a Windows folder the rate varies; some songs are as low as 64 while some are over 200. What's going on?
thanks for any help.

Reply #1
Because it is Variable Bit Rate. It will use high bitrates for complex segments, and low bitrates for simple segments, trying to average near 192 kbps.

If you meant that the numbers "64" and "200" in your posting refers to the average bitrate (i.e. bitrate measured over the whole file), then this is the explanation:

In a nutshell, the way VBR is implemented is to set some parameters before encoding, which -- when applied to 90%~99% of audio files -- will achieve an average bitrate around 192 kbps plus/minus some %.

As it happens, some files compress very nicely with the chosen parameters, resulting in very low bitrates. And other files compress badly, resulting in inflated bitrates.

Reply #2
I think Windows just can't calculate bitrate correctly.  It says some of my files are > 500kbps, when they're really 200k.

Reply #3
Well, MediaMonkey can. I was an avid user of MediaMonkey, until quite recently.

Reply #4
Well, MediaMonkey can. I was an avid user of MediaMonkey, until quite recently.

Why'd you give up the Monkey? I've been using it for a while now, and really dig it.

Reply #5
I've joined the dark side of the force, and now use foobar2000

No, but seriously: Yes, the Monkey is really good. However there are some things I don't like. Nothing serious, just a matter of personal preference. foobar2000 is more compatible with my finicky taste

It's still installed in my PC, btw.

Reply #6
I think Windows just can't calculate bitrate correctly.  It says some of my files are > 500kbps, when they're really 200k.

In my experience, updating to the latest version of WMP fixes that problem.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High