Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What settings and DSP should I enable for BEST quality of sound (Read 14966 times) previous topic - next topic

What settings and DSP should I enable for BEST quality of sound

1.What should I do in order to have the best sound:
a. I want a sound that will not be distorted
b. I want a sound that will not hurt my ear
c. I want fidelity

2.Should I use the Kernel Output Device? It is good or just placebo effect !!
3.Should I use resampling to 48.000? Why? Doesn't my sound card makes this automatically?? I have ADI AD1985 audio solution with 5.1 channel
4.Is OK to use EQ?
5.Is OK to use the plugin: Noise Sharpening (foo_dsp_delta)
6.What DSP should I use in order to level down the sounds that will heart my ears? I have 2.1 speakers.
7.What else?

Thanks, and sorry for my English

Reply #1
Hi

No offence here, but why do you ask *us* whether you should use something or not? Just try it youself - if you *hear* the difference, and you think it does sound better than before, then use this setting.
If you don't hear the difference, then there is no need to eat your computer's resources by using foobar's resampling to 48.000 - just read foo's FAQ (look at 'What resampler settings should I use?').

AFAIK, you should use Kernel Output only if you have problems with the default output. You should not hear any differences in sound 'quality' between different outputs, so leave this setting at default.

IMHO, Noise Sharpening from foo_dsp_delta is one of the best sound 'enhancers' for foobar - it does really enhances the sound for me  But some people can tell you, that it breaks the sound... well, it all depends, so you should try it yourself and see...

Reply #2
Another question: Why Foobar sounds so clear ?? I noticed a real difference between Foobar and iTunes, Windows Media player or Winamp. But, on the foobar website it said that is no difference between Foobar and another players. Why that ??

Reply #3
Another question: Why Foobar sounds so clear ?? I noticed a real difference between Foobar and iTunes, Windows Media player or Winamp.

Hmmm... déjà-vu...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
Hmmm... déjà-vu...

Ha, that's the first thing that came to my mind reading Octavian's post, thank you!

To Octavian: This is called the Placebo effect. You're hearing things. Unless of course, you have some EQ settings changed or DSPs activated.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #5
I like foo_dsp_delta's noise sharpening component and the Binaural DSP.

Reply #6
don't use anything, and you will have the best sound possible

Reply #7
1.What should I do in order to have the best sound:
a. I want a sound that will not be distorted
b. I want a sound that will not hurt my ear
c. I want fidelity

2.Should I use the Kernel Output Device? It is good or just placebo effect !!
3.Should I use resampling to 48.000? Why? Doesn't my sound card makes this automatically?? I have ADI AD1985 audio solution with 5.1 channel
4.Is OK to use EQ?
5.Is OK to use the plugin: Noise Sharpening (foo_dsp_delta)
6.What DSP should I use in order to level down the sounds that will heart my ears? I have 2.1 speakers.
7.What else?

Thanks, and sorry for my English

1a. Depends on what you mean with distorted. If you want sound that is not distorted, do not use any DSP or EQ.
1b. Turn the volume down.
1c. See 1a.

2. In most of the case, you can use the DirectSound output. Make sure to turn off any DSP, EQ, EAX, or whatever postprocessing that your sound driver do.

3. No.

4. Depends. If you want to nulllify your listening room's effect, you should use EQ.

5. If you like it, use it.

6. Do not use DSP. Use the volume button on your speaker or the volume slider on Windows instead.

7. The best sound depends on each personal preference.

don't use anything, and you will have the best sound possible
You'll have the most fidelity sound possible. Whether it is better or not, it's personal preference.

E.g. myself: I have this extreme sensitivity of High Frequency. A cymbal crash will give me headache. So I operate my players with the HF region suppressed.

Reply #8
Another question: Why Foobar sounds so clear ?? I noticed a real difference between Foobar and iTunes, Windows Media player or Winamp. But, on the foobar website it said that is no difference between Foobar and another players. Why that ??

I find that things that are based on the mpg123 mp3 decoder (which IIRC, foobar's decoder is, slightly), have softer, nicer, bass and clearer treble. Whereas winamp, wmp and itunes's decoders sound like all the frequencies have been crushed towards the midtones.

For instance, winamp sounds a lot nicer with in_mpg123. However, it breaks a lot of things
hi

Reply #9
Merci!
I use Kernel Output, it appears to me that Kernel sound is clear, and bass is "well cut".  And also the mediums are brighter, the voice it does not look to be somewhere in the background like Direct Output.
Sorry for my English

1a. Depends on what you mean with distorted. If you want sound that is not distorted, do not use any DSP or EQ.
1b. Turn the volume down.
1c. See 1a.

2. In most of the case, you can use the DirectSound output. Make sure to turn off any DSP, EQ, EAX, or whatever postprocessing that your sound driver do.

3. No.

4. Depends. If you want to nulllify your listening room's effect, you should use EQ.

5. If you like it, use it.

6. Do not use DSP. Use the volume button on your speaker or the volume slider on Windows instead.

7. The best sound depends on each personal preference.

In order not to have headache, U need to arrange the speakers in a way that the line of the sound will be parallel to your ears, not directly affecting your ears. It is very dangerous to arrange the speakers face to face to your ears.
E.g. myself: I have this extreme sensitivity of High Frequency. A cymbal crash will give me headache. So I operate my players with the HF region suppressed.

Reply #10
tool++: you're kidding, right?

Also, Octavian, that's not very useful information (and probably incorrect). (And please don't needlessly quote entire posts.)

Reply #11
Merci!
I use Kernel Output, it appears to me that Kernel sound is clear, and bass is "well cut".  And also the mediums are brighter, the voice it does not look to be somewhere in the background like Direct Output.
I do believe you are experiencing the Placebo effect.

Reply #12
As is tool++, surely; I wouldn't imagine that MP3 decoders could create such differences!

Reply #13
The udial sample sounds best with noise sharpening dsp

Reply #14
As is tool++, surely; I wouldn't imagine that MP3 decoders could create such differences!

I suggest you listen to some of your MP3 music in MucisKube, and come back here again  I'm not 100% sure, but it uses a certain free or open-source MP3 decoder that really f*cks up the sound...

I'm not an audiophile at all, I don't have golden cables nor golden ears, and I can hear it...I agree that a lot of talk about sound is placebo, but I do think that MP3 decoders have an impact on sound quality...
Les mots d'amour...

Reply #15
I agree that a lot of talk about sound is placebo, but I do think that MP3 decoders have an impact on sound quality...

Only if the MP3 decoder is flawed, but in that case I imagine the artifacts will not be anything like "softer, nicer bass and clearer treble".

And yes, it looks like tool++ is another victim of the placebo effect.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #17
I test my player's settings with the sound file from U. After applying ReplayGain. I have ADI AD1985 audio solution with 5.1 channel. On the sound card I enabled only Virtual Ear - Standard, the rest of settings, Acoustic Envoierment, BastBoost, etc... disabled.
I had no distorsion or bad sound, in Foobar, using this settings:
1. Kernel Output Device (16 Bit, Dither enabled)
2. DSP:
  Equalizer (20Khz...2; 14khz...3; 10Khz...2; 7Khz...1; the rest to 0)
  Advanced Limiter
  Skip Silence
3. Volume: -10.00dB

Thank U!

The udial sample sound