IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

AIFF vs. Apple Lossless, Do they really sound the same?
rob755
post Jan 20 2007, 01:01
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39823

Hi, I unfortunately have VERY little time right now to search thru past threads to ask this probably well played out topic, so please no one take offense but..... I just started importing cd's in AIFF (on an iMac24"), knowing of all the consequences of drive space and ipod unfriendliness etc. I mostly ONLY want the best playback avail. thru an outboard dac and good stereo. I have gotten 150 or so discs in at this point, but many to go. It seems apple lossless is theoretically got to sound the same as aiff. After starting offmy library in AIFF, I did a little more research and thought I sure need to consider ALE as well.I just did a little a/b ing between them. I may be kidding myself, but it seems to me the aiff songs seem to have a bit (haha?) more sparkle to my ears. Do you think I'm kidding myself here?. I need to listen some more ,but thought I'd dive in hoping for others opinions. Any thoughts and experiences wacko.gif wacko.gif would be appreciated. Thanks. Kind Regards, Rob
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
altaski
post Jan 20 2007, 01:14
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 38471

Well, as you know aiff is the ultimate but large. I was looking for the best quality for a portable hard drive to use in a car. But then I found out the head unit won't accept aiff, lossless, or mp3/wma over 320 kbps. So I'm stuck with some loss for that application. As for storing the files on hard drive I just went with aiff since I had a 250 gb drive. Put about 300 cds on it. At least then I can convert them to anything else later depending on application. I think either apple or wma lossless are about the same. Hope that helps.

QUOTE (rob755 @ Jan 19 2007, 16:01) *
Hi, I unfortunately have VERY little time right now to search thru past threads to ask this probably well played out topic, so please no one take offense but..... I just started importing cd's in AIFF (on an iMac24"), knowing of all the consequences of drive space and ipod unfriendliness etc. I mostly ONLY want the best playback avail. thru an outboard dac and good stereo. I have gotten 150 or so discs in at this point, but many to go. It seems apple lossless is theoretically got to sound the same as aiff. After starting offmy library in AIFF, I did a little more research and thought I sure need to consider ALE as well.I just did a little a/b ing between them. I may be kidding myself, but it seems to me the aiff songs seem to have a bit (haha?) more sparkle to my ears. Do you think I'm kidding myself here?. I need to listen some more ,but thought I'd dive in hoping for others opinions. Any thoughts and experiences wacko.gif wacko.gif would be appreciated. Thanks. Kind Regards, Rob
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:34