Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: pre-emphasis playback through foobar (Read 9961 times) previous topic - next topic

pre-emphasis playback through foobar

hi,

is there a way to get proper playback of pre-emphasis tracks/cds through foobar? any components?

thanks in advance

Reply #1
Bump.  I have the same question--is there a component allowing proper playback of files ripped from CDs with pre-emphasis?  In other words, a component that does de-emphasis?

Reply #2
I know that SoX can do it from the commandline to write a de-emphasised WAV and there's another tool that works in Win98 compatibility mode mentioned on digital-inn forums. (They say that iTunes' MP3 encoder will automatically apply de-emph)

With SoX, I'd imagine it's possible to re-use the source code (and possibly modify it for the floating point pipeline of fb2k) to automatically de-emphasise if the appropriate flag is detected.

Personally, I see no reason not to de-emphasise the ripped files, except one - namely if feel you really must have an exact image of the original CD as a lossless backup. On psychoacoustic grounds, I can't see how pre-emphasis provides any audible benefit, so I'd happily dispense with it. I imagine that at best it may have been helpful with early technology ADCs used in the digital mastering process.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #3
Personally, I see no reason not to de-emphasise the ripped files, except one - namely if feel you really must have an exact image of the original CD as a lossless backup.

De-emphasizing rips manually would be an extra step, take time, and the resulting files would have numbers of samples that aren't multiples of 75. The way I see it, there is no reason to permanently de-emphasize rips, as such CDs were meant to be de-emphasized on playback...

Reply #4
There is a way by using the built-in component Equalizer with the following settings:
55; 77; 110; 156; 220; 311; 440; 622; 880 Hz : 0 dB
1200 Hz : -1 dB
1800 Hz : -1 dB
2500 Hz : -2 dB
3500 Hz : -3 dB
5000 Hz : -5 dB
7000 Hz : -6 dB
10000 Hz : -8 dB
14000 Hz : -9 dB
20000 Hz : -9 dB

Would be more accurate if foobar2k would support fractional value settings.

Reply #5
... They say that iTunes' MP3 encoder will automatically apply de-emph ...

The iTunes' de-emphasis correction is not depended on the selected encoding format.  The build-in correction works automatically during ripping if iTunes detects the PRE flag.

I have used it for my few old CDs that have pre-emphasis applied. I ripped the CDs with iTunes in wave format and converted the files to my preferred lossy format with foobar. (In addition, I have uncorrected lossless EAC disc image + cue files of the same CDs in my backup archive.)

I have posted my test results of iTunes' pre-emphasis handling in this HA thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=339177

Reply #6
hi,

is there a way to get proper playback of pre-emphasis tracks/cds through foobar? any components?

thanks in advance

Yes, just download the file named "Waves_De-Emphasis.rar" with impulses from your eMule and use him in foo_convolver component.

Greetngs.

Reply #7
hi,

thanks in advance

Yes, just download the file named "Waves_De-Emphasis.rar" with impulses from your eMule and use him in foo_convolver component.

Greetngs.

Thanks a lot bertox for the pre-emphasis info!
The impulse response file for the foo_convolver component, for playing pre-emphasized files real-time, can be found here:
The "ImpulsEmph.wav" file in this zip:
http://www.picosound.de/Waveemph100a.zip

It works for me.
thanks

Reply #8
hi,

thanks in advance

Greetngs.

Thanks a lot bertox for the pre-emphasis info!
The impulse response file for the foo_convolver component, for playing pre-emphasized files real-time, can be found here:
The "ImpulsEmph.wav" file in this zip:
http://www.picosound.de/Waveemph100a.zip

It works for me.
thanks

Hi,  Thanks.

will this work automatically when a pre-emp track comes up in a playlist - or would it be active for all tracks including those that do not have pre-emph?

Reply #9
Hi,  Thanks.

will this work automatically when a pre-emp track comes up in a playlist - or would it be active for all tracks including those that do not have pre-emph?

Hi!

No it doesn't work automatically. It is active all the time when you activate the convolver component in the DSP section in Foobar settings. So it will be active for all tracks even if they are not having pre-emphasize.

So when you have a pre-emphasized track, then you need manually turn this feature on.

Reply #10
Hi,
I play an CD-Image with integrated cue-sheet and "FLAGS PRE" with foobar2000 from the Computer Hard-disk through the S/PDIF interface (Soundcard Asus Xonar Essence ST) to the Benchmark DAC HDR coaxial interface.

The Benchmark will automatically perform Digital De-Emphasis if the 'Pre-Emphasis' status bit is set properly at the S/PDIF interface.

--------------------------------------------
Elias Gwinn from Benchmark submitted:

I did some research, and I believe you are correct.  There is 'pre-emphasis' meta-data in some ripped audio files, as you indicated in your previous post.

Now, the question is: how can you get it to be de-emphasized properly?  The DAC1 will apply de-empasis if it receives the 'pre-emphasis' status bit.  However, it seems like it isn't receiving it.  There are a number of reasons this may be happening, since there are many different API's, drivers, and firmware steps that the audio must go through before leaving the sound card.  All of the software and hardware, from Foobar to SPDIF output, would need to properly carry the bit through until the end.  It seems like it is getting lost somewhere in that distance.  You may need to contact the manufacturer of the soundcard to see if they have addressed this issue.
--------------------------------------------

My Question is: Is the 'Pre-Emphasis' status bit set properly from foobar?

thanks in advance