Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ogg freezes portable player (Read 9341 times) previous topic - next topic

ogg freezes portable player

Hi,
I bought the Trekstor 12 gb device, vibez. Nice player that is supposed to be able to support several file formats, ogg and flac among others. Unfortunately, it freezes at the end of ogg files. Trekstor's support claimed that this was becaues the ogg files had been encoded without a proper stop signal. They said that this lack of stop signal wasn't a problem on standard computers (which is true, since I've never had problems with the same files on my laptop), but it freezes portable players. All portable players have the same problem, if I understood him right. What can I do? Do I need to recode all my music to some other format? Or, is he lying and it is not a general problem for all portable players, but rather, a special problem for this particular player, and I better return it?

Thanks,
hjalmar

Reply #1
I'm not familiar with vorbis technical details but I use vorbis regularly on my iAudio X5 without any problems. I use Foobar for encoding to vorbis. I guess this will be poor firmware as usual.
Is there a difference between yes and no?

Reply #2
Hi,
I bought the Trekstor 12 gb device, vibez. Nice player that is supposed to be able to support several file formats, ogg and flac among others. Unfortunately, it freezes at the end of ogg files. Trekstor's support claimed that this was becaues the ogg files had been encoded without a proper stop signal. They said that this lack of stop signal wasn't a problem on standard computers (which is true, since I've never had problems with the same files on my laptop), but it freezes portable players. All portable players have the same problem, if I understood him right. What can I do? Do I need to recode all my music to some other format? Or, is he lying and it is not a general problem for all portable players, but rather, a special problem for this particular player, and I better return it?

Thanks,
hjalmar

I suggest you better return it, or have it replaced with another player that can support ogg vorbis.

It is not a general problem of all portable players... I have a Chinese IPod Nano *clone*, however, it does not claim to be able to play ogg vorbis files, but hey, it plays them flawlessly without freezing! I have encoded those files using aotuv 4.5 dll in audiograbber. I just don't know about other versions with the supposed lack of stop signal.

Most likely he is lying, and you deserve a better player for your money.

I hope this helps 

Rio
"Listen to me...
Never take unsolicited advice..."

Reply #3
I guess this will be poor firmware as usual

Most likely he is lying, and you deserve a better player for your money.

The Vibez uses Vorbis playback routines similar to the Rio Karma (former Rio engineers were involved, after all), it has AFAIK so far shown quite stable and reliable, and I have yet to see a second person come up with this problem. @OP: You didn't state which encoder your files were created with, and judging from the nature of your problem, it sounds quite plausible that such a Stop signal - if there is one specified - is missing.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #4
Would that so-called lack of "stop signal" be inherent in old versions of ogg vorbis encodes, or later?

If it is intrinsic to old encodes, why isn't it that the DAP not backward compatible to old versions?

At any rate, even if it is caused by new versions, the OP would still have problems with the same DAP (unless he re-rips or transcodes to another supported format)

If he really has an option to return or have it replaced, he should... that is what customer satisfaction is all about.

The company must accept the fact that the OP's ogg vorbis files was already at his enjoyment before he bought the DAP that cannot play the said files.  Save him the hassle of adjusting of re-ripping or transcoding just to give in to his hardware.
"Listen to me...

Reply #5
Would that so-called lack of "stop signal" be inherent in old versions of ogg vorbis encodes, or later?

If it is intrinsic to old encodes, why isn't it that the DAP not backward compatible to old versions?

At any rate, even if it is caused by new versions, the OP would still have problems with the same DAP (unless he re-rips or transcodes to another supported format)

What about a buggy encoder implementation? The OP could easily encode a few files with the newest aoTuV/Lancer encoders and play them on the DAP, testing whether the error persists or not. I'm trying to narrow down the problem cause and save him the hassle of getting a replacement or another DAP just to find out that it's a problem in his files.

@hjalmar: What encoder did you use?

Reply #6
"@hjalmar: What encoder did you use?"

Sorry for the delayed answer (I had to wait until I came home for lunch).
Most of the files were encoded nearly a year ago with Sound Juicer, but I do not know which version I used. So I encoded some files just now with Sound Juicer 2.16.3, on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. Fortunalely, it seems like the problem is gone. On the other hand, quite a few of the new files now freezes in the middle, but not all of them. I will look closer at this issue tonight and come back with more info.

Thanks for the replies,
hjalmar

Reply #7
That actually sounds like a hardware problem to me. I don't think it's related to the firmware since Trekstor's devices have been supporting Vorbis decoding for quite some time now. Even my old i.Beat organix plays them back without causing any issues (except the typical truncation of the last few seconds on some files, which is usually related to VBR on portable players)

Encode to other formats besides Vorbis (MP3, WMA, FLAC) and test these on the player too. If it kept crashing, it would be a case for the customer service.

Reply #8
Now it looks like hardware problem to me, too. Probably a harddisk/buffer issue; I've encountered such an error on two occasions with my Rio Karma, with MP3 files though.

Reply #9
The encoder I used for all files, old and new, was Xiph.Org Vorbis 1.1.1.

hjalmar

Reply #10
I think Silversight was right. The problem was with the music files, not the Trekstor Vibez player.
In order to test the player, I encoded the same cd in flac, wav, mp3 and ogg. To my suprise, all formats, including ogg worked perfectly. I have no idea why the ogg files I encoded earlier (with the same encoder: Xiph.Org Vorbis 1.1.1) do not work, when files I encoded now works fine. Anyhow, I can most probably not blame that on the player. Instead, I will have to start on the tedious project of reencoding my music.

Thanks for all the help and advice,
hjalmar

Reply #11
Once in a blue moon my X5L will freeze.  It's always on a vorbis track.  I think it mainly happens on high bitrate tracks, because none of my new encodes seem to cause this.
地獄

Reply #12
Hi,

I have a TrekStor organix with OggVorbis support and had some issues with Vorbis as well. Back then it turned out it wasn't the players fault. The vorbis-tools package I used was missing a patch for UTF8. Without the patch the player would crash reading the tags.

Anyway, this doesn't seem to be your problem. I thought about what you said and tried an OggVorbis radio stream. I used this one.

Here's what ogginfo found:
Code: [Select]
ogginfo dlf_high.ogg
Processing file "dlf_high.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 7545e146): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040629 (1.1.0 rc1)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 104,000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
User comments section follows...
        TITLE=Deutschlandfunk - Ogg DSL
        AUTHOR=Deutschlandfunk
        CONTACT=www.dradio.de
        ARTIST=Deutschlandfunk
Warning: sequence number gap in stream 1. Got page 5684527 when expecting page 2. Indicates missing data.
Warning: EOS not set on stream 1
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 1012117 bytes
        Playback length: 97396m:58.009s
        Average bitrate: 0,001386 kb/s

"EOS not set" is probably what's happening with your file as well. I loaded the track onto my organix and it was played back allright. But during playback the display was all messed up. That's the first time I've seen something like that on the player. It didn't crash, though.

Regards
mic

Reply #13
Hi micmac,
It seems like you are closing in on the problem.
Looking at one of my "bad" files that freezes the player, I get this output:
ogginfo 10\ -\ Super\ Ape.ogg 
Processing file "10 - Super Ape.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 68c0af7a): type vorbis
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304

Nominal bitrate: 160.000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
        TITLE=Track 10
        ARTIST=The Upsetters
        TRACKNUMBER=10
        TRACKTOTAL=10
        ALBUM=Super Ape
Warning: EOS not set on stream 1
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 3896412 bytes
        Playback length: 3m:49.893s
        Average bitrate: 135.590256 kb/s

Compare this bad file to a good file that works without any problems:
ogginfo 12\ -\ Jag\ manipulerar.ogg 
Processing file "12 - Jag manipulerar.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 2ba5cb29): type vorbis
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20050304

Nominal bitrate: 160.000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate not set
Lower bitrate not set
        TITLE=Jag manipulerar
        ARTIST=Peps Blodsband
        TRACKNUMBER=12
        TRACKTOTAL=13
        ALBUM=Äntligen!
        MUSICBRAINZ_SORTNAME=Peps Blodsband
        DISCID=970da30d
        MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID=6BI4YVpxVKCysewrMwoJlR7fbio-
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 5892425 bytes
        Playback length: 5m:16.746s
        Average bitrate: 148.823666 kb/s
Logical stream 1 ended

It seems like "EOS not set" is the only real difference between the two files. To repeat the problem, the player freezes a few seconds (~2-3 s) before the end of the song, but it has no problems displaying text related to the file. By the way, what is EOS? I really only started posting here because my player didn't work, I have no knowledge of audio compression what so ever.

Thanks a lot for the help,
hjalmar

Reply #14
I'll give it a good guess...

EOS could have meant End Of Song

AFAIK, EOF meant End Of File
"Listen to me...

Reply #15
EOS could have meant End Of Song

End Of Stream would be my guess

anyway, i just checked my vorbis files and they all have a proper ending. all of my files are encoded with different aotuv encoder versions.

i am particularly interested in this problem as i am thinking about buying a vibez player too..

-andy-

Reply #16
I have a Chinese IPod Nano *clone*

i didn't know there was people who really buy those craps.. :-p

Reply #17
I have a Chinese IPod Nano *clone*

i didn't know there was people who really buy those craps.. :-p

OGG-loving people like would buy what-you-called *craps*. Why? Because the *craps* handle OGG files very well. 

BTW hjalmar, your problem OGG file (10 - Super Ape.ogg) played flawlessly from start to finish using eldino's so-called *crap*, then playing on to the next track smoothly.  I'm inclined to test to rip and encode to an *unfinished* OGG (meaning, cancelling the encode before it ends).

@AndyMutz, I think you got it right on the EOS thing

I'll keep you posted.
"Listen to me...

Reply #18
After some simple testing, I found out that this Chinese iPod Nano *clone* can't play my -q-1 OGG files (or any negative quality setting for that matter).  It just shops shows "file error".

Which led me to pack my cds into -q0 (now my sweet spot for OGG, previously -q5).

Nevertheless, this gadget still ain't crap

EDIT: typo...
"Listen to me...