Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: De-Emphasis in foobar? (Read 6275 times) previous topic - next topic

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Hi! I've been doing a lot of searching of the last 24 hours about setting up my foobar to de-emphasize FLAC files on the fly.

It seems the best way to do this is to apply an impulse response file with convolver. However, I have no idea how to do that. Supposedly I need UnitImpulse2K.wav, but I don't know where to find that.

Once I have that I think I know what to do. Please let me know if this is right:

1. Load UnitImpulse2K.wav into Samplitude
2. Open the FFT EQ and apply Deemphasis_CD to the wave file
3. Save
4. Use this wave file with convolver
5. Profit

Does this sound right? I'd really appreciate some more intelligent than me helping me out here. My brain is going to explode from all the info I've been searching through!

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #1
I figured out a workaround!

If you download WavEmph (you can find a link at the Hoffman forum: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=84090), it comes with an impulse response file (ImpulsEmph.wav). Use this file with convolver, and you'll have FLAC files de-emphasized in realtime.

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #2
I figured out a workaround!

If you download WavEmph (you can find a link at the Hoffman forum: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=84090), it comes with an impulse response file (ImpulsEmph.wav). Use this file with convolver, and you'll have FLAC files de-emphasized in realtime.

I having trouble with this - how is this implemented?  I put the convolver.dll in Foobar's "components" folder.  What do I do with the ImpulsEmph.wav file? 
In Foobar, how do I use this?  Let's say I have a .FLAC file ripped from a CD with Pre-emphasis.  Now what?

Also, is it possible to use in the context of a shuffled playlist mixed with non-pre-emphasis files?

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #4
You put the foo_convolver into DSP chain, open it's config dialog, load the ImpulseEmph.wav in it and push the Play button!
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #5
You put the foo_convolver into DSP chain, open it's config dialog, load the ImpulseEmph.wav in it and push the Play button!

Thank you - I don't suppose there's a way for the convolver to be used only with certain files, e.g., in a shuffled playlist?  Or do I have to convert them to a de-emphasized file?

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #6
I think there's no way you can do that.
But de-emph them using a converter with DSP chain enabled would be nice. Then you could forget about this and enjoy the music
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

De-Emphasis in foobar?

Reply #7
In the end, I'm going to use WaveEmph itself.  For some reason, in the DSP configuration settings in Foobar, the "adjust mix" slider, when set to 100%, severely adjusts the volume, resulting in clipping. 

In WaveEmph, I just tick "maximize" volume (i.e., in relation to the original file) and it's fine, and sounds great.  I have to do each track separately, but oh well.