IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hear what you don't hear...?
MiskyWhixer
post Jan 19 2003, 13:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4385

I played around with Cool Edit a little bit.
I ripped a song with EAC to WAV and encode it to MPC Std, Xtr, and Ins (and MP3 APS)
Then I decode all the files back to WAV-File. Now I load the original WAV with CE and "Mix-Paste" (both channels inverted, Overlap Mix) with a decoded file. The result is a quiet wave sounds like... hmmm... can't explain in english ;o)
The higher the quality of the mpc file, the quieter was the difference. The MP3 APS wave had roughly the same loudness as the MPC Xtreme wave.

Am I right that this "difference wave" is the "lossy" part of the original wave after encoding?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
atici
post Jan 12 2004, 00:57
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 1367

A codec which doesn't throw away the inaudible stuff, which leads to an increase in difference, can be considered inefficient. You want a psychoaccoustic codec to throw away as much as possible while still sounding the same.

Yes but when you say "as much as possible" it doesn't mean more information is discarded when the difference file volume is high. It is much more complicated than that from an information theoretical perspective. You want to discard as much inaudible information as possible so that coding with less number of bits will be realized.

--------------------
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:40