IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Compare WAV files, Compare different WAV files of the same song
Edskes
post Oct 29 2007, 11:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48298

I want to compare different WAV files containing the same song, these WAV files come from different CDs from different record companies and the WAV files are almost, but not exactly, the same filesize.
If I use WinDiff from the Microsoft Support Tools that sometimes works, then I see that both files are the same except the beginning and the end or that they are totally different. Only the problem is that WinDiff hangs on a lot of files, so that it doesn't show results.

So now I'm looking for either a better working version of WinDiff or another compare tool with support for binary files, or another way to compare WAV files with each other.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
CiTay
post Oct 29 2007, 14:56
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I think you're using the wrong approach. You're trying to see how different two audio files are by looking at the binary data. What you should do is load them in an audio editor like Adobe Audition and compare them in spectral and waveform view, and probably inverse-mixpasting both tracks (what's left will be the difference signal). As you know, half a second more silence before the start of one track can lead to 99% difference from then on, even when the actual audio is identical...
+Quote Post
david_dl
post Oct 30 2007, 09:40
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 26461

QUOTE (CiTay @ Oct 30 2007, 02:56) *
I think you're using the wrong approach. You're trying to see how different two audio files are by looking at the binary data. What you should do is load them in an audio editor like Adobe Audition and compare them in spectral and waveform view, and probably inverse-mixpasting both tracks (what's left will be the difference signal). As you know, half a second more silence before the start of one track can lead to 99% difference from then on, even when the actual audio is identical...

I think he wants to compare if the files are digitally similar, excluding digital silence at the start/end. WinDiff is a file comparison tool that searches for parts of the two files that are the same, even if they aren't in the same position. The problem with using the audio editor method, while probably more useful as it allows for small differences in the digital data, is that it will be difficult to 'synchronise' the two files, to account for the extra at the start/end.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:51