IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

I used GRIP to convert my music CDs to FLAC, Now I have numerous errors
NavyJay
post Nov 8 2007, 03:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48200

I used GRIP in Linux to convert my music CDs to FLAC. I didn't realize it at the time, but I have numerous CRC mismatches in the encoded files where physical scratches were located. Normally, I don't ever notice these errors during playback in Amarok or on my Squeezebox.

Since I recently bought an iPod, I had to convert all my FLAC files to MP3 using flac and lame on the command line. These mp3 files contain silent breaks anywhere there were CRC mismatches in the flac file. The same effect occurs when I use winamp to convert FLAC to mp3 in Windows. I know it's theoretically possible to interpolate through the errors, because we are oversampling with the FLAC format (~900 kbps vs. 320 kbps). But, how can I decode through errors while interpolating to get rid of silent breaks in my music??? This must be how Amarok and Slimserver deal with errors, so why is it not an option in the flac binaries?

-J
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
david_dl
post Nov 9 2007, 00:47
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26461

I don't really understand how there can be CRC errors in the FLAC file because of scratches on the CD. This just doesn't seem possible, and the ripping software should have filled in unreadable sections with digital silence.

Anyway, I'd recommend re-ripping your CDs with EAC or dBPowerAmp, running natively under windows, to get the best possible rip. EAC will tell you if it finds any unreadable data, and tell you the exact position in the audio file.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:49