Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes 7.5: SRC bug in OSX? (Read 2556 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes 7.5: SRC bug in OSX?

According to this poorly written article in Stereophile (yeah, I know), engineers at Benchmark Audio claim that iTunes 7.5 has a severe glitch, particularly in OS X (it claims that Apple has more or less fixed the Windows version already):

http://www.stereophile.com/news/120307samplerateconversion/

"iTunes 7.5 for OSX still lacks the ability to follow sample-rate changes. We consider this a nuisance for most users and a complete no-go for users that want to play a mixed list of 44.1kHz and 96kHz material. An OSX sample-rate mismatch will invoke the very poor quality sample-rate conversion that is built into OSX. The iTunes 7.5 bug seems to be locking this sample-rate conversion on at all sample-rates other than 96kHz. Until this is fixed, OSX is not the operating system of choice for audio playback.

"I think we'll see high-quality sample-rate conversion built into the players themselves in the future. We'd rather see no sample-rate conversion, but at least on the Windows side, they've implemented very good sample-rate conversion. On the Mac side, whenever you play a 44.1kHz file [with iTunes 7.5], you end up with a very poor quality sample-rate conversion inserted between the player and the operating system—or else it invokes the operating system's output conversion. We're not actually able to tell which.

What exactly are they saying here? First it states that the problem occurs only when you have a playlist of mixed files with differing sampling rates, but then goes on to say "whenever you play a 44.1kHz file [with iTunes 7.5], you end up with a very poor quality sample-rate conversion inserted between the player and the operating system." Very confusing, to say the least.

My second question is: then why is iTunes resampling at all? And to which values it resampling to?

I did a search and didn't see any threads about this. Does anyone know what the problem really is with iTunes 7.5?