Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug: WMA Track Numbers Are Added To By 1 in 0.9.5.1 (Read 4281 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug: WMA Track Numbers Are Added To By 1 in 0.9.5.1

Don't know if this bug has already been experienced/reported but when using 0.9.5.1 I'm finding my track numbers for WMA files are being added to by 1. Is there any quick fix or solution to this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Can anybody help? I've had no response yet.
foobar2000 0.9.5.1 user

Reply #1
It might be helpful if you wrote what exactly were you trying to do, what did you expect and what behavior occured instead - e.g. "I have an untagged WMA file, I set its Track number to 6 in the Properties dialog, click OK and it shows up as 7".
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Ok, I add WMA files to library and they automatically get the Track Number increased by 1. No editing whatsoever.
foobar2000 0.9.5.1 user

Reply #3
I have this issue with WMA tracks using 9.5.1.  It affects some of the tracks and not others, but I dont know why.  Here are two sample files:

[removed]

Reply #4
First of all, I'd get those files offline ASAP if I were you, at least remove the links, since they are violating the TOS of hydrogenaudio.org (they are copyrighted material, and as far as I know, you don't own the copyright to Blue Öyster Cult). Second, there is no bug in foobar2000, or then there is one in Windows Media Player as well.

It seems that teh tag in them has a tracknumber of 10. It doesn't matter what the filename is if you've tagged them wrongly.

I have this issue with WMA tracks using 9.5.1.  It affects some of the tracks and not others, but I dont know why.  Here are two sample files:

Track 9 (off by 1).wma (5.27 MB)

Track 10 (correct).wma (5.98 MB)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #5
First of all, I'd get those files offline ASAP if I were you, at least remove the links, since they are violating the TOS of hydrogenaudio.org (they are copyrighted material, and as far as I know, you don't own the copyright to Blue Öyster Cult).
Gone.
Second, there is no bug in foobar2000, or then there is one in Windows Media Player as well.
It seems that teh tag in them has a tracknumber of 10. It doesn't matter what the filename is if you've tagged them wrongly.
Earlier the tags matched the file names, but were displayed wrong in Foobar2000.  I used Foobar2000 to add replaygain info to the tags, and it seems that while it was doing this, it changed the track number in the tags as well.  So the problem with Foobar2000 is real, but I didn't realize the files I posted had been modified since I checked the tags.

I will try to find some copyright-free WMA files that will illustrate the problem.

Reply #6
I can't repro your problem.  Are you generating these WMA files yourself?  If not, try it... rip a real audio CD to WMA in WMP 11, for example, and see if foobar2000 is happy with the track numbers.

I can change the track numbers in Explorer shell , WMP 11 & foobar2000 9.5.1 and all applications see the changes correctly.

FYI:

WMA/ASF containers have two internal track number attributes, WM/TrackNumber (string) and the deprecated WM/Track (string or DWORD).  The old "WM/Track" is 0 based, where the newer "WM/TrackNumber" is 1 based.  Yes, confusing.  WM/Track is only maintained for backwards compatibility.  Both attributes should be Strings, but applications should be coded to be able to read WM/Track as a DWORD just in case of bad applications.

Buggy applications might store WM/Track incorrectly using a 1 base, making correctly behaving applications read the track +1.

Reply #7
I saw the problem with WMAs that I purchased online.  I noticed the problem in foobar2k, tried re-tagging them using Tag&Rename, and I saw the same problem (not true see below).  The track numbers display fine on my portable music player, so I figured the problem was in Foobar2k.  I see other people have noticed it as well.  I'll try ripping some files from CD and experimenting more with this issue when I get home tonight.

Reply #8
I've also seen this happen (+1 to tracknumer)

Reply #9
It turns out the problem does not occur with WMA files that I rip or tag myself.  However, WMA files I purchased on the internet show the track number off by one in Foobar2000, but show up correctly on my Gigabeat portable player, and Tag&Rename, and Windows Media Player, and Windows XP Explorer (see pic).  If I re-tag the file in Tag&Rename, then Foobar2000 shows the tag number correctly.

Here is a pic that shows the correct track number for "Just another day" is 1, but Foobar2k shows it as 2.
foobar2k wrong track num.JPG (145.75 KB)

Perhaps the files originally have some non-standard form of the tag, such as the deprecated version that grommet mentioned?  Still might be nice if Foobar2000 displayed it correctly, as does Media Player, Windows Explorer, etc.

At least now I know that re-writing the tags fixes the problem.