Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Why Do Pirates Use MKV, Not MP4?, From Topic ID: 62762
Emon
post Apr 21 2008, 19:03
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23424

QUOTE (goesto11 @ Apr 19 2008, 16:54) *
You can also see it in video - .avi is slowly being replaced by .mkv files and H.264 encoding.

AVI isn't a codec, it's just a container. You can have an H.264 encoded video in an AVI file...MKV is just becoming popular because (presumably) it's a better container format.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
eofor
post Apr 23 2008, 08:53
Post #2

Member No.: 28803

QUOTE (Emon @ Apr 21 2008, 19:03) *
AVI isn't a codec, it's just a container. You can have an H.264 encoded video in an AVI file...MKV is just becoming popular because (presumably) it's a better container format.

I'm still baffled why .mkv is used by the pirates instead of .mp4, which in terms of features can do exactly the same and is far more widely supported.
+Quote Post
cabbagerat
post Apr 23 2008, 09:57
Post #3

Member No.: 9042

QUOTE (eofor @ Apr 22 2008, 23:53) *
I'm still baffled why .mkv is used by the pirates instead of .mp4, which in terms of features can do exactly the same and is far more widely supported.
This is a bit offtopic, but the real reason is fairly simple. The .mkv format is seen by the community as being "cool" and a mark of a clued up user. This is mostly because it is less widely supported, and can be harder to use than the more mainstream container formats. In communities like the movie/episode piracy community, technical merit is only one of two requirements on a technology - the other is community perception.

I've been far away from that community for a long time, and the culture may have changed, but the use of some formats rather than others as a "secret handshake" was fairly common. One example is .mp2 - some groups used it long after MP3 was shown to be technically superior. I know other regulars around here have a history in the scene, and probably have similar experiences.

--------------------
Simulate your radar: http://www.brooker.co.za/fers/
+Quote Post
felix26591
post Dec 5 2009, 07:02
Post #4

Member No.: 69900

QUOTE (cabbagerat @ Apr 23 2008, 09:57) *
QUOTE (eofor @ Apr 22 2008, 23:53) *
This is a bit offtopic, but the real reason is fairly simple. The .mkv format is seen by the community as being "cool" and a mark of a clued up user. This is mostly because it is less widely supported, and can be harder to use than the more mainstream container formats. In communities like the movie/episode piracy community, technical merit is only one of two requirements on a technology - the other is community perception.

I've been far away from that community for a long time, and the culture may have changed, but the use of some formats rather than others as a "secret handshake" was fairly common. One example is .mp2 - some groups used it long after MP3 was shown to be technically superior. I know other regulars around here have a history in the scene, and probably have similar experiences.

Actually I thought the same thing, I always thought that mp4 container could do the same thing as mkv, but i was as wrong as you, I recently started experimenting with mkv and it is a much advanced container, it has all the features mp4 has and more. For example when adding subtitles to an mp4 file you can have many but one has to be burned into the video. With Mkv you can have as many subtitles as you want and can turn them on and off without any issue. You can add as many audio streams as you want, no limits on the codecs inside the container. I use mp4 container, but after these past few days of trying out mkv i gotta say i wish mkv was better supported because it is much better than mp4, plus it is open source and has almost no limitations, on what codecs, video or audio, you put into it.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 22:11