Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 under wine (Read 17066 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 under wine

I'm not really sure if this deserves a whole thread, but what the hell.
I managed to get foobar2000 working under wine today on a slackware box running linux 2.4.18,  wine 20030115 and the latest foobar2000 internal.
For anyone interested, here's what I had to do:
1. Install Wine to run independently of Windows.
2. Edit your ~/.wine/config and set wine to emulate winxp and make sure "msvcrt" in the dll section is set to "native, builtin"
3. Copy msvcrt.dll from a winxp box to ~/<wine harddrive>/windows/system
4. Install foobar2000 in whatever fashion you like, wherever you like (though I'd recommend placing it in the root of your "windows drive")
5. Run "wine <wherever you installed foobar2k>/foobar2000.exe"
6. Set foobar2000 to use waveout and the device should be the wine mapped audio output device.
7. Add files and play!
Note: to add a whole directory of mp3s, you must use Add Location (so set up a drive in the wine config as X: which points to wherever your files are and then you can Add Location X:). Add Directory seems to crash wine.
Other than that, I've come across no major problems. Global keymaps don't work, but there's probably a way around that.
Also, the systray is just a nice little useless window. I guess the best idea is to hide it with your window manager. It'd be good if foobar2000 had an option to disable the systray icon, though
Anyway, enjoy, all you lunix nerds. I'm glad to answer any questions. Related questions, that is. I mean, don't ask me the capital of Zaire or anything like that.
Uh oh, you bwoke it.

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #1
7. Add files and play!
Note: to add a whole directory of mp3s, you must use Add Location (so set up a drive in the wine config as X: which points to wherever your files are and then you can Add Location X:). Add Directory seems to crash wine.

I'm not 100% positive on this because I haven't used Wine before and I haven't loaded a *nix distro in about 2 years.
Code: [Select]
<bash protection=true>I'm a developer on Win platforms</bash>

Anyway, I think the Add Directory functionality could be failing because he's using the Common Dialog controls to display the directory browser. As I stated, no Wine knowledge, but you might need comdlg32.dll to get it working. If Wine already includes this .dll, then my apologies and I'll go on my merry way now. If it works, then you can just call me your saviour 

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #2
Wine does include comdlg32, but just to be safe I tried copying it as a native dll from a winxp machine and it didn't work. I think it may have something to do with directory structures but I really can't be sure.
Uh oh, you bwoke it.

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #3
Hmmm, oh well....good try. Maybe I'll get off my butt one day and install a *nix distro. But I'm sure you'll ahve this problem solved by the time I get around to that  Not much "free time" now a days to play with every technology out there.

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #5
Well that's where I got it from, so I'm assuming that's the latest and greatest as of today but if it's not called an "internal" then...well...it's the latest anyway. v0.5 beta 14
Uh oh, you bwoke it.

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #7
Was anyone able to get singlecolumnplaylist and/or trackinfomod to work under wine?

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #8
Anyone know if there are any plans for foobar to be ported/converted to linux? It's probably one of the only programs holding me back...

Foobar2000 under wine

Reply #9
That recipe looks awfully dated.  foobar2000 0.9.4.2 installed
fine for me under Wine-0.9.29 without having to copy
anything from Windows.
Considering the thread you replied to is almost four years old, that should not be a surprise. The current foobar2000 back then was the 0.4 series, if memory serves me right.

Please use a more current topic about foobar2000 on Linux to further discuss this. Thread closed.