Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_snarl (Read 12053 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_snarl

FooSnarl

FooSnarl is a component to the music player Foobar2000 which enables it to use Snarl, a notification engine, to alert the user to changes in the song playback.  Users can select which events they would like to be notified of such as Play, Pause and Stop events.  You can manually control the formatting of the messages using Foobars own title formatting language, more info on that here.  Different visual styles for the notifications can be selected in Snarl.

Example Notifications

FooSnarl - http://sourceforge.net/projects/foosnarl/
Snarl - http://www.fullphat.net/
foo_snarl: Under Construction

foo_snarl

Reply #1
I got the notifications to work, just not the cover art.
Can you give an example and where to put it?

Thanks,

c32
BTC:  1EFvqvn51n7qW9yHZHDHPnBZxN17EafUt1

foo_snarl

Reply #2
Currently all of my album art is in each album folder with the songs as "folder.jpg" so I have the script set to "$directory_path(%path%)\folder.jpg"  which should give the correct path to the "folder.jpg" file for the currently playing song.

You can go to Preferences->Advanced->Tools->FooSnarl to change it to something else if you have your album art in a different format or located somewhere else. 

As of right now I don't have a way to automatically grab the artwork from the net if not present or anything

-Skyler

foo_snarl

Reply #3
Hi, nice effect!
Is it possible to use a bigger font size, or bold text?

It's also impossible to let Snarl decide what duration and what style to use. These seetings stay blank in Snarl.

By the way, the album art is set to
"$directory_path(%path%) older.jpg"
by default.

foo_snarl

Reply #4
Code: [Select]
Failed to load DLL: foo_snarl.dll
Reason: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I'm using foobar 9.5.5 and foo snarl 0.1.5.
Am I missing some configuration file, or is foobar misconfigured?

foo_snarl

Reply #5
@UnduTheGun:

here exactly the same error-message.

i'm using foobar 0.9.5.2 and foo_snarl 0.1.5

foo_snarl

Reply #6
@Cutter: Thanks! (Damn escape characters)

@UnduTheGun and Bollerkopp: There isn't any configuration file, and I haven't been able to figure out the source of this problem yet.  I've only been able to test things on my own installation of foobar 0.9.5.5.  Sorry.

This is also the first plug-in for any program that I've done so I'm still trying to figure things out.

foo_snarl

Reply #7
UnduTheGun, Bollerkopp: have you installed Snarl? ;-)

foo_snarl

Reply #8
@Morfeus:

sure... 

foo_snarl

Reply #9
There isn't any configuration file, and I haven't been able to figure out the source of this problem yet.  I've only been able to test things on my own installation of foobar 0.9.5.5.
My uneducated guess would be that you have linked your project using dynamic CRT, which creates additional dependencies.
Either use the static one or urge your users to download the MSVC++ 2008 Redistributable Package.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_snarl

Reply #10
Yirkha: Yeah installing VC2008 Redist makes fooSnarl working. Snarl seems like very good app but I hate that it depends on some 3rd party app layer (melon).

foo_snarl

Reply #12
There isn't any configuration file, and I haven't been able to figure out the source of this problem yet.  I've only been able to test things on my own installation of foobar 0.9.5.5.
My uneducated guess would be that you have linked your project using dynamic CRT, which creates additional dependencies.
Either use the static one or urge your users to download the MSVC++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

Thanks so much! Yea, definitely something I hadn't foreseen.  How do I do this statically?

foo_snarl

Reply #13
Thanks, the missing characters are what was getting me (plus not knowing where to find the settings).

c32

By the way, the album art is set to
"$directory_path(%path%) older.jpg"
by default.
BTC:  1EFvqvn51n7qW9yHZHDHPnBZxN17EafUt1

foo_snarl

Reply #14
How do I do this statically?
In project's properties for Release configuration, choose "Multi-threaded (/MT)" under "C/C++ > Code Generation".
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_snarl

Reply #15
Done. Hopefully v0.1.6 works.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/foosnarl/

Hi, nice effect!
Is it possible to use a bigger font size, or bold text?

It's also impossible to let Snarl decide what duration and what style to use. These seetings stay blank in Snarl.

Also just remembered these questions.

#1: Talk to the Snarl people

#2:  I'm looking into this also, I don't see anything in the limited Snarl API about these settings so I'm trying to contact the developers about it.

foo_snarl

Reply #16
Thanks for the update

foo_snarl

Reply #17
Hey!

Just found your plugin and played around with it...

I found 2 minor "bugs":

1) My file path contains "(", ")" and "²". Not sure what exactly is the problem here, but covers are not displayed.
    When i move my music to a different location everything works fine.

2) In the components window version 0.0.1.5 is displayed instead of 0.1.6 - nothing big but confusing

If you cant solve 1) a hint (like known bugs or sth) might help others!

Hope this is still in development?!
Any news about font formatting? Would love to see this in the future. 

foo_snarl

Reply #18
Using Snarl 2.3RC and Foobar 1.1 it does not display the album cover art, though files are folder.jpg and are displayed by foobar itself but it displays the file I set to be displayed when there is cover art correctly. I'd be grateful for any ideas, I miss this feature a lot.

foo_snarl

Reply #19
Resurrection! 

I see there have been some recent(ish) comments here. Sorry, I totally missed them but am subscribing to this topic somehow to get email alerts 

I've been contacted by some users from the Snarl side of the project in the past couple of months.  It's rekindled the development on FooSnarl.

I recently uploaded a shiny version 1.0 which you can get to through prdg.gs/-FooSnarlCurrent

Among other things it's built with the latest SDK for Foobar2000 and the latest API for Snarl.  It also brings in the idea of one notification at a time so you're not swamped if you skip many songs quickly.  Finally, support for separate Snarl message classes for each of Play, Pause, Stop events.  This allows you to hide certain events if you don't want them or just style them differently. See the project blog for more information on this release prdg.gs/FooSnarl.

I'll be going through the input in this thread since I was last here and will add the stuff to the SourceForge tracker that I'll work to develop into FooSnarl.  I hope the severe neglect hasn't driven too many people away from FooSnarl or the Snarl platform in general.

You can also follow the project blog prdg.gs/FooSnarl or @FooSnarl on twitter for announcements.