IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Another Vinyl Playback question., Do playbacks help clean vinyl?
uart
post Aug 15 2008, 16:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18295

I hardly ever play vinyl these days, but every now and then I find an old record that I haven't heard for ages and feel like listening to. Usually I figure if I'm going to play it I might as well record it add it to my digital collection.

Anyway the question in this thread relates to surface noise, some of which I think due to my old records not being very clean. Often these records have been sitting un-played for 20 years or something and I think maybe they've got kind of "baked on" grime or something. tongue.gif

I don't have much in the way of a cleaning setup either, just some old yellow cleaning cloth (that's prolly also about 20 years old and a bit dried up) that I give em a wipe with, but I don't think it really does much. I know I really should try cleaning this stuff a bit more before recording but the problem is that I'm lazy.

One thing that I think I've noticed though is that if I play the record a few times before I record it then it seems to sound a little better. Now I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this (like perhaps just getting accustom to the noise and not noticing it so much) or if playing the record several times actually helps clean it somewhat?

Does anyone know if this is a known phenomenon or am I just imagining it?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 09:27