Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Major multi-component distortion problem (Read 3066 times) previous topic - next topic

Major multi-component distortion problem

EDIT: Went away on upgrade to v1.2 of George's plugin; ignore this, but it is still kind of weird.

Found this while listening to movement VII of Messiaen's "Meditations sur le Mystere de la Sainte Trinite". Organ piece, lots of sub bass. I noticed some really patently obvious clipping-like distortion - it sounded like a massive excursion, but at volumes not high enough to cause that - and when I started digging deeper into this, well, holy crap.

It ONLY shows up when all of the following conditions are true:
  • Either Yohng's VST plugin or the older VST bridge plugin are enabled (doesn't matter which)
  • Magnus's "Nyquist" parametric VST eq is enabled
  • Nyquist is configured with one of its parametric eqs centered at a bass frequency (take one of the center handles and drag it to the far left). You don't even need to make it a boost or a cut - just keep it on the center line.
  • Live playback of the music in foobar2000. This does not reproduce in the Converter.So I had to record the stereo mixer output from my sound card to get these samples.

Because multiple components need to be specially configured to hit this, it's not like I can point the finger here at Yohng for his VST plugin, or Magnus for his eq, or foorbar2000 for anything else. All I can do for now is throw up my hands, report that there is a bug somewhere in all of this, and ask for help on what to do next. I'll contact the author if nobody has any ideas, but before that I'd like to make sure that foobar2000, or a plugin thereof, is not the problem here.

Samples

Major multi-component distortion problem

Reply #1
happen w/ both the 3 bands and the 5 bands versions of the EQ?

I use the 5 bands version in 32FP/ASIO through Yohng's VST plugin, everything's cool! this EQ is too awesome

but I mostly kill some trebles, I leave the lows untouched.

you could also try to force AGC(Automatic Gain Control) in the VST plugin.