Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: another audiophile discovery - please comment (Read 10042 times) previous topic - next topic

another audiophile discovery - please comment

I was amazed by this post on Audio Asylum's PC Audio forum

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/...es/5/52276.html

"After proper set-up to do accurate-rip and setting the C2 pointers, i ripped some Led Zep tracks that I had previously ripped using a good CDROM drive and EAC.

The result: The EAC .wav rips are not even close. I thought they were good, but I was wrong. The dbpoweramp .wav rips are highly focused, with improved depth and imaging.

Well worth the less than $100 investment. Best tweak I have done in years. The Teac rips at 10-12X too, so its fast and accurate."

He didn't supply adequate detail on how the 2 rips were done but he seems have used Accurate rip when he ripped a CD with the TEAC drive and dBpoweramp. Does he understand that if his files are verified by the Accurate Rip database, the drives used for the other rips in the database are equally accurate?

He based his conclusions on listening to files rather than doing a file comparison. 

Bill

Reply #1
Your challenge if you choose to accept it, is to get him to do some file comparisons, and internalize what they mean. ;-)

Reply #2
audioengr has a long and distinguished history as a point of discussion here on HA.

Reply #3
Does he understand that if his files are verified by the Accurate Rip database, the drives used for the other rips in the database are equally accurate?

But accuracy and such are non-issues if he claims to have perceived differences!

The only validation a gentleman like Steve Nugent needs is "do I hear something or do I not". Anything else -- even well-established science -- is entirely and unquestionably irrelevant. Over at Computer Audiophile, Nugent's made various proclamations about how USB cables "make a difference" and that different versions of iTunes produce rips that are audibly different (despite the resultant files being identical). No proof or validation of such claims are ever supplied.

Armed with this knowledge, you'll realize that Arny's challenge is akin to attempting to climb Everest without any appendages

Reply #4
Everybody chill out. It wasn't the software or the CDROM that created the improved results, it's actually the cable that came with the Teac.

What people don't know is that Teac's cables are specially deoxygenated. By removing the oxygen atoms from the cable, the data that dbpoweramp rips from the CD is clear and 101% distortion free.

If anyone is interested, I have a number of these cables and am willing to part with them for a reasonable price...let's say $50? You can't put a price on a cable that guarantees improved depth and imaging.

Reply #5
Explain to me again, someone, why we need audiophiles? 

Reply #6
Explain to me again, someone, why we need audiophiles? 

I must confess I sometimes think HA is a bit heavy on 'phoolery, and then I see stuff like this. Is there any data on how many people take this kind of thing seriously? Like, is it on the Flat Earth scale, a tiny fringe thing invented in the C19th, or is it like vitamin supplements, wasting a lot of time and money?

BTW, in Another Thread I Choose Not To Name, a certain editor is causing consternation because he was educated in Physics--like, "How could a *physicist* peddle this kind of stuff?" But this guy Nugent seems to have been a bona fide engineer--how could his mind flip like this?

Reply #7
If anyone is interested, I have a number of these cables and am willing to part with them for a reasonable price...let's say $50? You can't put a price on a cable that guarantees improved depth and imaging.
I would if I didn't already have that 500$ Denon cable. Best purchase I've ever made - makes my 2$ headphones sound like the real thing!

Reply #8
NB: OT discussion regarding Creationism, theology etc. moved to a new thread in Off Topic, which I've yet to rename.

Let's keep this one on-topic please.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
Sorry bout that.