Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how do i tag aac? (Read 6050 times) previous topic - next topic

how do i tag aac?

it says "unsupported file format" but i aac is supported and foobar should be able to tag apev2, shouldnt it?

how do i tag aac?

Reply #1
Raw AAC needs to be placed into an mp4 container to be tagged.
elevatorladylevitateme

how do i tag aac?

Reply #2
Raw AAC needs to be placed into an mp4 container to be tagged.

this may be a little off topic, but i've noticed that the metadata of mp4 files encoded with foobar (nero aac) are only readable by foobar. nor my telephone (SE k850) nor wmp11 can read that. is there a way to write some more compatible metadata (maybe id3v2) to mp4 files?
thanks

how do i tag aac?

Reply #3
is there a way to write some more compatible metadata (maybe id3v2) to mp4 files?

MP4 does not support ID3v2. The known ways to tag MP4 are defined by Apple and Nero, and foobar2000 writes Apple tags, and any unsupported information to Nero tags. It may help if you can locate any files where your players actually recognize the tags and upload them. Assuming that simply rewriting the tags with foobar2000 renders them unreadable.

how do i tag aac?

Reply #4
It may help if you can locate any files where your players actually recognize the tags and upload them. Assuming that simply rewriting the tags with foobar2000 renders them unreadable.

i'm sorry for my bad english, but i'm not sure i've fully understood.
however, i mostly use mp3 flac and other lossless formats for my audio library, and i'm used to convert my favourite files to other file formats (wma, mp3, mp4) in lower bitrate for my mobile devices. so far i was compelled to use wma instead of mp4 because of the tag issues.

so, is there some way to solve this? 

PS: The KMPlayer can read the tags, and i suppose winamp can do it too. sadly my phone can't...

how do i tag aac?

Reply #5
Maybe try use mp3Tag  and write tags with settings: Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1? My SE-k800 (very similar phone to yours) reads tags made by Foobar2000 without big problems, even with m4a files created by Nero AAC. But, sometimes, without rewriting tags to ID3v2.3, it crashes and restarts after inserting card with music.

how do i tag aac?

Reply #6
You must be confused, MP4 does not use ID3 tags.

how do i tag aac?

Reply #7
Yes, you are right, those settings don't make any difference. So, in my case, helped simple rewriting (cut tags, save files, paste tags, save file) tags in mp3tag.
Oh, i must state that phone had those crashing issues also with files encoded by iTunes, so it looks like error on SE side.