Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Beginning of track cut off about 1 sec, please help (Read 16408 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginning of track cut off about 1 sec, please help

I run Vista and use Foobar2000 with WASAPI and Columns_UI. All FLAC files ripped in EAC (some older MP3's brought over as well). All tracks when clicked to play, or fowarded to the next song have an approx. 1 second lag, starting the song late, missing the start of the track- it happens to the EAC ripped music as well as the older MP3's. It does not do this in iTunes.
This is very annoying, please help!
Thanks

Reply #1
This is a problem with your DAC/receiver shutting down when encountering complete digital silence.
  • One solution would be to use the skip-silence DSP, which obviously doesn't help seeking/skipping.
  • Also, some DACs that have problems with this at higher bit depths are fine with 16 bit output.
  • You could also switch to analog output for your soundcard, which might not have such problems.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Thanks but that did not help. My setup is Vista->Foobar2K->USB->Bel Canto USB Link 2496->Audio-gd Reference-1 DAC. All take 24/96 rates and there is no issue using iTunes, only Foobar.
This is a real issue and I am considering using another player if  cannot resolve.
Thanks again

Reply #3
Have you tried other output components such as Kernel Streaming, ASIO, or WASAPI?

Reply #4
I'm quite sure the receiver/whatever is accounting for this issue. I have the exact same problem when I use digital connections to my H/K receiver. There can be several reasons why some players have this problem and others don't. I think soundcard drivers are part of reason why this happens. I had a Yamaha DSXG once and when used in Winamp - EVEN WITH CROSSFADER OPTION ON - it managed to create this initialisation gap on my receiver.

Other soundcards I've had, has behaved differently, mostly just doing this on track changes. However, it can somewhat easily be worked around. I myself created a solution where I run another foobar in the background, looping a wav with ALMOST silence created in an editor. iTunes could have something similar implemented that ensures no interrupted digital playback.

For that matter, a DSP for foobar2000 that did the same would be great.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #5
I use WASAPI output. It does not happen with Media Monkey or iTunes, they work perfectly. I don't use a receiver like that, see my previous post for my setup.
Thanks

Reply #6
So, what you are suggesting is that the "Audio-gd Reference-1 DAC" cannot be held responsible for this delay - Why not? As far as I can see you are using a digital chain, just like me. I don't see why a DAC in a reciever and some other DAC shouldn't behave similarily.

If you are suggesting that foobar2000 is faulty, I think I'd have to disappoint you because that's highly unlikely on this matter. As I mentioned in my previous thread, it's more likely other applications has implemented workarounds for this kind of problem or maybe they are using different output methods - Which did you try besides WASAPI?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #7
Maybe you can explain why I have never heard a delay with 2 other DAC's besides the Ref-1, iTunes and Media Monkey? Only Foobar. I want to use Foobar, really, but the delay is a deal killer.
I will try other plug-ins. There must be some other trouble shooting ideas?

Reply #8
Okay- it seems it is WASAPI. The only one that works correctly is the "Primary Sound Driver". It seems  too much to bother though as MM works/ sounds the same to me and works better overall (considering I don't sutomize like a of Foobar users seem to do) -handles more files better too.

Reply #9
Maybe you can explain why I have never heard a delay with 2 other DAC's besides the Ref-1, iTunes and Media Monkey?
Because iTunes and MediaMonkey don't do bit-perfect playback?

Only Foobar. I want to use Foobar, really, but the delay is a deal killer.
I will try other plug-ins. There must be some other trouble shooting ideas?
Besides trying a not-broken DAC?   

Okay- it seems it is WASAPI. The only one that works correctly is the "Primary Sound Driver". It seems  too much to bother though as MM works/ sounds the same to me and works better overall (considering I don't sutomize like a of Foobar users seem to do)
It's likely Primary Sound driver isn't doing bit-perfect output either. Either way, the likelihood that you could ever prove hearing a difference between output modes is very unlikely. If you were attempting to use fb2k+WASAPI simply because you've been told doing so would result in some magical sound quality improvement, I'm afraid you've been lied to.
A simple checking of foobar's FAQ could have told you this.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10
Maybe you can explain why I have never heard a delay with 2 other DAC's besides the Ref-1, iTunes and Media Monkey? Only Foobar.

Switch to 16 bit output and turn "Dither" option on. Foobar2000 won't output digital silence.

Reply #11
Maybe you can explain why I have never heard a delay with 2 other DAC's besides the Ref-1, iTunes and Media Monkey? Only Foobar.

Switch to 16 bit output and turn "Dither" option on. Foobar2000 won't output digital silence.

My Bel Canto converter only does 24 bit so setting it to 16 bit kills output.
Finally someone with a theory, thanks! Anymore ideas?

Reply #12
Other soundcards I've had, has behaved differently, mostly just doing this on track changes. However, it can somewhat easily be worked around. I myself created a solution where I run another foobar in the background, looping a wav with ALMOST silence created in an editor. iTunes could have something similar implemented that ensures no interrupted digital playback.

For that matter, a DSP for foobar2000 that did the same would be great.

Well, I wrote very simple DSP plugin that adds white noise (TPDF) or DC offset to a signal. I wonder if it can help...

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=73072

Re: Beginning of track cut off about 1 sec, please help

Reply #13
I have a similar problem, but it shows up when manually switching tracks or rewinding. When the songs are played in the playlist in turn, there are no problems. For this reason, I had to switch to AIMP, there is no such thing.
Plugin DSP did not help.

Video
Headphone: Pioneer SE-700 Piezoelectric, Stax SR-80 Lambda Junior, Jecklin Float Model Two, Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A, MB Quart QP400, Pickering OA-7, Fostex T50RP
DAC|HeadAmp: Antelope Audio Zodiac
Speaker: Adam Audio Artist 5

Reply #14
Check fade in and fade out settings in Playback menu in Preferences. Set them to 0 for track changes  and seeking.

Reply #15
Check fade in and fade out settings in Playback menu in Preferences. Set them to 0 for track changes  and seeking.

Excuse me, where exactly are these settings ?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Headphone: Pioneer SE-700 Piezoelectric, Stax SR-80 Lambda Junior, Jecklin Float Model Two, Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A, MB Quart QP400, Pickering OA-7, Fostex T50RP

Reply #16
Here:

Oh, and that Continuator thing is a DSP that hasn't been updated since 2004, and whose author stopped coming here in 2006. I would remove it.

Reply #17
Here:

Oh, and that Continuator thing is a DSP that hasn't been updated since 2004, and whose author stopped coming here in 2006. I would remove it.
It works not bad at all. Just think about how to configure foo dsp continuator properly. I think the last version is 0.61 was released in 2009...
You not have to remove it, just configure this plugin.

Reply #18
kode54, I do not have such settings in the menu.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #19
It is only available for Direct sound output. Not available for ASIO and WASAPI
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #20
And clearly, your ASIO device needs to be fed a second of silence on startup, as it appears to cut off the first second of output.

Reply #21
It is only available for Direct sound output. Not available for ASIO and WASAPI
However, in AIMP, everything works in ASIO.