Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: headphone base EQ (Read 2944 times) previous topic - next topic

headphone base EQ

I once stumbled over some info about the base EQ for common headphones. I cant recall where I found this info and I need it now as I made a concert recording using my Senn PX100s which turned out okay but needs some EQ adjustment and this would be helpful as a start. I can recall as much as a bump in mid bass and high freqency roll off which more of less corresponds with the recording.
Anyone...?

headphone base EQ

Reply #1
I found a frequency response plot for the PX100 at headphone.com.

Be careful about trying to flatten-out the headphone response.  If these are your everyday headphones, you are used to how they sound, and your brain knows how music is supposed to sound on these headphones.  If you suddenly switch to a flat reference, you are likely to overcompensate.

And, be careful with big EQ adjustments.  Whenever I've tried to smooth-out the frequency response of speakers, big adjustments (maybe over 6dB) it just didn't "sound right"...    I dunno...  Maybe it's just me, or maybe I need a better equalizer or better spectrum analyzer...  Just be aware that if you try to completely flatten the response, you might not get good results.  Also, some of the higher-frequency ripples in the headphone.com graph are due to the simulated head that they use.  I'm not sure if these should be EQ'd out or not...

I'll assume that you don't have access to a pair of studio monitors, but here are a couple of techniques that mixing/mastering engineers use:

- It's generally recommended not to use headphones as your primary mixing/mastering monitor system.

- Compare your recording to a couple of your favorite commercial recordings (of similar music).  Try to get similar sounding frequency balance.

- When you're done (or almost done), listen on a few different systems.  Listen on some "average" speakers, on your main home system, on a boom box, on a portable player with headphones, in your car, etc.  Again, compare your recording to one or two "reference" recordings.