Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Extract dialogue from movie?
igregon
post Nov 23 2009, 02:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75205

Hi everyone,
I have a project where I need to extract just the dialogue from a movie, without any of the backing music or sound effects. I managed to rip the 5.1 track off the DVD, unfortunately though, the centre track contains dialogue as well as background music. The left and right tracks however, only contain the background music.
I was wondering if there was a way to mix the centre track and a left or right track and make the background music "cancel out" somehow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Skelsgard
post Nov 23 2009, 10:35
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26214

I apologise, I wasn't using the + sign to mean addition.
CenterCutGUI works like this. It takes a stereo file and read the info that it's the same (within a given threshold) between its channels.
Takes that info and dumps it into a new mono track called "center channel" and takes the original stereo file and subtracts that info from both channels (cancelling out) creating a new stereo track "side channels".
Now, if the background music info in C, L and R is the same (even with different gains) and the speech in C is not contained in L and/or R, then all you need is a stereo track in which one channel has the speech © and the other one doesn't (L or R). This way, when processed by CenterCutGUI, the speech will be sent to the side channels track, while the matching background music will be sent to the center channel track. Discard the center channel track, and then take the side channels track and strip or demux the channel that contains the speech.
The only way of doing C-(L+R) is by using 180 phase shifting on the L/R channels, then when muxewd togheter C and L/R, the music will cancel itself out but the rest of the info in L/R will be added to C, only 180 phase-shifted.

--------------------
"Screw u guys, Im going home."
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:18