Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unrecoverable playback error: Device not found (0x88780078) (Read 47125 times) previous topic - next topic

Unrecoverable playback error: Device not found (0x88780078)

Not working at all! When I try to play mp3 files from my computer the error message appears: Unrecoverable playback error: Device not found (0x88780078). Other players work well!

Reply #1
Any other running app that uses your sound card?

or maybe what have you set for output in preferences > playback > output?

Reply #2
After upgrading to beta v1.0 I get an error saying:

*Nie zaimplementowano [PL] = Not implemented [ENG]

Reverting back to v0.9.6.9 fixes the problem, but only when I make a clean install. I've got to delete all the settings from %appdata% folder.
The output preferences look like this:

Note that the Dither option is unavailable.

The funny thing is that with WASAPI output everything is OK.

Specs: Windows 7 Professional / ASUS Xonar DX with newest drivers.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Reply #3
After upgrading to beta v1.0 I get an error saying: .. *Nie zaimplementowano [PL] = Not implemented [ENG]

Are you using latest sound card drivers? The player uses 32 bit float output on Vista or newer OS and leaves the final downmixing to the OS. It seems like your card has trouble handling that.

Reply #4
After upgrading to beta v1.0 I get an error saying: .. *Nie zaimplementowano [PL] = Not implemented [ENG]

Are you using latest sound card drivers? The player uses 32 bit float output on Vista or newer OS and leaves the final downmixing to the OS. It seems like your card has trouble handling that.

As i stated before: the drivers are up to date.
Everything works fine except foobar2000 v1.0...(also as I stated before: v0.9.6.9 works fine)
BTW, referring to my previous post: its Windows 7 Pro X64 to be exact.

Reply #5
I have something similiar.

Im working on Windows 7 x64 and my music card is Asus Xonar DX.

Xonar can work in 24 bit but, as you see foobar dont revealed this feature. Stable version working good.

Reply #6
<+taza> Found the bug
<+taza> It's not foobar, it's the Asus GX engine
<+taza> Tell them to turn all DSP modes off in the control panel - it's the DS3D GX 2.0 engine - foobar2000 has never worked it
<+taza> Their way to fake EAX support
(...)
<+taza> At the lower right corner of the AsusAudioCenter are DSP mode buttons
<+taza> Just turn DS3D GX 2.0 engine off.
<+taza> This is the ONLY place that option is and I kept having crash problems on XP with it. On the beta it'll instead give that error.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
Disabling DS3D works, but the options to change Output/Dither are still unavailable. Also the initialization of playback takes a long time.
With the stable release there were no problems. DS3D could be on of off - makes no difference. I don't actually blame foobar for this issue, knowing that ASUS ain't da best at writing hardware drivers, but it would be nice to hear an official statement from you Peter, that theres nothing wrong with fb2k and the drivers are the only one to blame.

Reply #9
Ah, makes sens. Stupid of me - forgot about the crippled Vista/7 Windows Audio Stack...
So that lefts me with the strange long playback initialization. Since after the first file is played everything plays/skips/pauses/stops smooth than i guess its not really a bug. Probably foobar taking exclusive (not the exact word) control of the sound card as its stated in the Windows 7 Audio preferences, but still i could be wrong

Reply #10
I do wonder how a proper single-precision audio stack is in any way worse than the inferior one in XP. As it works with 32-bit floats internally and pads anything not 32-bit, there's no reason whatsoever to not emit 32-bit floats from foobar2000, as I'm sure that that thread reiterates time and time again.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #11
So that lefts me with the strange long playback initialization.

Some Xonar users don't have long initialization problems.

Reply #12
I get the same error, using win 7 x64.
Playback failed after I upgraded from vista x64 to 7.
I tried to install the 1.0 beta over 969, but that didn't help.

My 'soundcard' is a cakewalk vs-100.
I can play a test tone in my playback setup, otherwise nothing happens.
When I start a song, it just presents the error.
What could I do to get foobar to play again?

Reply #13
listen i got the xonar DX2 Its the same and works perfect on vista 32 Bit , try set it to [DS xonar dx] and try should work...

Reply #14
You respond to yourself. You using a Vista 32 Bit. All other people in this thread have 64bit

Reply #15
Will this problem be fixed in later beta's?

Reply #16
What needs to be fixed?

The "ASUS audiocenter" fails with 32-bit float output. Not much we can do about that.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #17
You can try this, it might work as an unofficial "fix".
It lets you change state of disabled controls.

I tried it on foobar2000 1.0 beta 4, the sound changed so the option seems to still be functioning.
However, I don't have Xonar, so it may not work with it.

Try it here: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/Enabler.htm

I don't know if it's considered a hack, but it works globally on all programs with standard controls in Windows, so it's more a "bug" in Windows that lets you change this.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #18
I found a solution for me to use ASUS's EAX emulation and foobar. you need this plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
set your output to ASIO. turn on DS3D GX 2.0 and it works. I have a Xonar D1 and use Win7x64..

greetings

..no native speaker...

Reply #19
Not working at all! When I try to play mp3 files from my computer the error message appears: Unrecoverable playback error: Device not found (0x88780078). Other players work well!

Found the solution !
Inside Xonar DX Control Center, deactivate GX DSP Mode by clicking once on the GX button.
That's all !

Reply #20
araquirit: did you read this thread at all?

I've edited the topic title to make things more clear.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #21
araquirit: did you read this thread at all?

I've edited the topic title to make things more clear.

Hard to miss the screenshot, but I succeeded !!
Thank you for editing the title, it will force people like me to read everything before leaving...

Reply #22
Thank you Peter for adding a workaround for this issue in the newest release.