Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Proof That a Ceramic Cart Damages Record with Single Play* (Read 22301 times) previous topic - next topic

Proof That a Ceramic Cart Damages Record with Single Play*

Photos

Picture This:
Your treasured record makes it to the new millennium, only to be ruined by a USB turntable!

A Closer Look at the Damage (Click to zoom in)

It Sounds as Awful as it Looks

The Problem? Bent Stylus Combined with 6.75 Grams of Pressure

Stylus #2: Bent in the Other Direction

A Month and 22 Cents Later: Needle #3

Stylus #3: Finally Points Down

Samples
These are the clips found in this article. I'll post the standard clips soon. MP3 versions of the standard clips at Knowzy. (Tip: The FLACs are there too. Just change the extension from .mp3 to .flac in the URL.)

A Lot of Work for a Lousy Turntable

I sat down to start sampling from my new Grace Digital Audio USB turntable. I placed the needle down on my 30th  Anniversary Aja LP and heard an atrocious amount of surface noise.  Worse yet, I noticed the grooves changing from black to gray as the  record played.

My initial thought was that, at 6.75 grams of tracking force, the  tone arm is simply placing too much pressure on the record. I believe  the range for this cartridge is 2 – 5 grams. So, I sent it off for warranty repair, hoping to get a replacement unit.

While waiting for it to come back, I got a close look at the photos I took. You can clearly see a bent stylus.

This is exactly what the rep from Grace suspected before I started  talking about VTF. Clearly this a common problem, further evidenced by  this Amazon review.

My turntable came back. Same unit, which they said they repaired. I  placed the needle to the vinyl and it proceeds to grind away at my 30th Anniversary Dark Side of the Moon. The surface noise was just as bad this time around. The photo seems to show the stylus bent in the other direction this time.

I call Grace and the same rep assures me that my repaired turntable can't be shaving  my records. They test it before shipping it out, he says. Apparently I  shouldn't believe my own eyes and ears!

He says he'll put a new stylus in the mail. It should arrive in the few days.

Three weeks later, no stylus.

I call back. Again I'm met with disbelief. "I remember mailing this out," the rep says. He agrees to send out a second needle.

A week later, I get a notice from the post office in my mail box. The postal service returned the package postage due to Grace three times. Apparently they ignored it each time. It  finally came to me postage due: 22 cents. I drove to the post office,  gave them a quarter and got my needle.

The next day, the second needle arrived.

Both styli were in good condition. I got a reasonable sounding sample. So I went ahead and produced the samples I'll post in an upcoming thread.

After all the trouble Grace went through to make it right, you have to wonder if companies regret  selling these turntables as much as their customers regret buying them.

Reply #1
After all the trouble Grace went through to make it right, you have to wonder if companies regret  selling these turntables as much as their customers regret buying them.

To summarize then, the first two tracks come from LPs that were in good shape bfore you started playing them with the bent stylus, and the damage came from the bad stylii?

Reply #2
To summarize then, the first two tracks come from LPs that were in good shape before you started playing them with the bent stylus, and the damage came from the bad stylii?

That's exactly right. You can watch the damage occurring in the the first, animated photo.

These are the same records I bought brand new, specifically for these tests. I haven't played them outside of this setting.

Of course, they're in no shape for further testing. I will replace them for the next round of tests.

Even the "good" third needle doesn't look exactly level in the photo. But it is at least secured by the plastic clasp. This, perhaps, made the difference between unbearable surface noise and reasonable playback.

Reply #3
This is a little bit off-topic.

Knowzy: I appreciate that you're providing some great information to the folks at HA with your various tests, but I have to ask - why are you doing this? It appears that you are spending a great deal of money on buying USB turntables (which we all know are likely to be pretty poor) and LPs (which you seem happy to trash and then replace).

Is there an ultimate goal? Or are you just curious (and rich  )?

Reply #4
Why are you doing this? ...Is there an ultimate goal?

I'm glad you asked. I'm doing this because I'm covering USB turntables at Knowzy, my upstart, one-man magazine.

This is exactly the kind of coverage to expect when Knowzy takes on a topic: In-depth, independent and fiercely pro-reader.

Knowzy does receive commissions on some turntables and other gear (always designated by an asterisk- full policy here). But I'm a long way from breaking even. As you can imagine, I tend to talk people out of buying USB turntables.

That's OK with me. The ultimate goal is building Knowzy's long-term reputation as a trustworthy source for whatever (the proverbial) we are covering, not short-term sales of crap at our readers' expense.

For many years I've held great respect for HA. The people here mesh well with Knowzy's editorial philosophy. HA members care deeply about accuracy, don't shy away from in-depth discussion and don't tolerate shills. I'm honored that you have me here.

Finally, I do indeed enjoy the subject and bringing you horrific sounding samples with equally horrific pictures of destroyed LPs!