Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 'Convert to FLAC' splits solid FLAC to tracks - but does it re (Read 3446 times) previous topic - next topic

'Convert to FLAC' splits solid FLAC to tracks - but does it re

I have some 'whole-disk' FLAC files, with cue sheets, that I want to split into separate FLAC tracks.  Evidently, foobar2000 will only do this via the "Convert" command.  This appears to work fine, but I wonder if foobar is internally decoding these tracks to WAV format and then re-encoding them to FLAC?  Or is it smart enough to just split them?

If foobar is re-encoding, does anyone know of a program that will just split such files without re-encoding? I have tried Medieval CueSplitter but it gives me some problems.

Thanks

Arbie

Reply #1
It does reencode as it's a converter, not a specialized splitter.

Anyway, I'm afraid that splitting FLACs without reencoding might not be even always possible (when not on some frame boundary).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
It does reencode as it's a converter, not a specialized splitter.

Anyway, I'm afraid that splitting FLACs without reencoding might not be even always possible (when not on some frame boundary).

That's what I needed to know.  The FLAC decode-encode during conversion is so fast on my PC that I didn't think it was happening.  From your last remark it seems like I should be glad that foobar is doing this.  Given no speed problems, I assume that there is no reason not to proceed this way...?  Of course the more conversions the more chance of an error, but besides that I don't see a drawback (or a better alternative).

Any further opinion?

Thanks for your help!

Reply #3
Of course the more conversions the more chance of an error, but besides that I don't see a drawback (or a better alternative).
Regardless of how many encode/decode cycles a lossless stream goes through, it will not change (unless something is very wrong with your software or hardware).

And I think the effective impossibility of splitting FLAC files without decoding them was discussed fairly recently. If you're interested in the technical details, you can search for the topic.

Reply #4
Of course the more conversions the more chance of an error, but besides that I don't see a drawback (or a better alternative).
Regardless of how many encode/decode cycles a lossless stream goes through, it will not change (unless something is very wrong with your software or hardware).

And I think the effective impossibility of splitting FLAC files without decoding them was discussed fairly recently. If you're interested in the technical details, you can search for the topic.

Very helpful, thanks again.