Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Glitch at the beginning of the track (Read 3476 times) previous topic - next topic

Glitch at the beginning of the track

I came across an album in MP3, where there's a glitch at the beginning of every track (either if I let them play in the playlist or if I let just one track play on repeat).

This is what it says in the properties of the tracks:
SR: 44100
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 320 kbps
Codec profile: MP3 CBR
Tool: LAME 3.93
Tag: id3v2|id3v1
ENC_DELAY: 576
ENC_PADDING: 1318 (varies from track to track)
MP3_ACCURATE_LENGTH: yes
MP3_STEREO_MODE: stereo

Tried playing in VLC and on my phone and didn't have any such glitches. Also opened them in an audio editor (Wavosaur) and didn't see anything unusual. After saving as WAV from there it played fine.

Tried increasing buffer to 2100 in Foobar and didn't help.

I converted a MP3 to FLAC (with Foobar) and the glitch was still there in Foobar.

-
Foobar 1.0.3 and Win7 64. CT4760 with KX drivers.

Reply #1
bump

I'd post a mp3, but I'm not sure it's allowed.

Also, what I thought was happening at the beginning of a track is actually happening at the end. It was hard to tell when played back sequentially, but now I noticed that it happens even if I don't play on repeat.

Reply #2
Checking the files in question with the File Integrity Verifier component may help. Also see whether foobar's console provides any hint.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #3
Checking the files in question with the File Integrity Verifier component may help. Also see whether foobar's console provides any hint.

Checked both and didn't see any errors.

edit: the glitch also happens in XBMC.

Reply #4
Upload a sample file here.

Reply #5
Done.

Reply #6
The glitch is in the file and every decoder I tried shows it. Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Wavosaur, Audacity and LAME --decode. Sorry.

Reply #7
If you zoom right in on the end of the track in an editor you can see there is a large offset peak at 2:25.900.

You could trim the end of the files using mp3DirectCut - does anyone know of any issues with mp3s produced with this tool?

Reply #8
The glitch is in the file and every decoder I tried shows it. Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Wavosaur, Audacity and LAME --decode. Sorry.

If you zoom right in on the end of the track in an editor you can see there is a large offset peak at 2:25.900.

You could trim the end of the files using mp3DirectCut - does anyone know of any issues with mp3s produced with this tool?

Right, I see it now. Thing is, I had an older version of Wavosaur (1.0.3.0) and it didn't show the glitch, the file actually ended at 2:25:226. The newest VLC (1.1.2, 7zip version) still doesn't show it. I guess they have older/different decoders or something..