Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adjusting Flac Volume? (Read 8346 times) previous topic - next topic

Adjusting Flac Volume?

My ever growing flac collection has an issue. I can't walk away from the volume control for fear that the next item in the playlist will rupture the surrounds right off the speakers or be too quiet to enjoy.

Back in the time of MP3 (before $1 per gig). there was "MP3Gain" a decent little program that just read the average db of a track or whole album and adjusted a multiplier of that mp3 for lossless(loose term) volume changing/normalization. Took hours to run but at least did get all the tracks in the same playing field.

Now with FLAC I feel like something like this is needed again. Other than decoding to WAV and throwing every track in soundforge how can the volume/gain of a flac file be permanently adjusted?

Do the lossless properties of flac deny this sort of adjustment?
ventrilo://208.100.40.19:25885/servername=ZeosServer

Adjusting Flac Volume?

Reply #1
Search this forums for Replaygain and learn a bit about it. It will help you without the need to permanently alter your audio files.
Of course, you will need the software that can read replaygain tags and do something about it; foobar2000 can do everything you need, scan the files, add replaygain tags, and use them to adjust the volume of the files played.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Adjusting Flac Volume?

Reply #2
More interested in using it for playback through my Archos. I usually just dock it and walk away for 3 hours(until I am running back to adjust the volume). Replaygain will help here but not on the dock system. And if I am here I am adjusting the volume constantly anyway.

Adjusting Flac Volume?

Reply #3
You can use ReplayGain to permanently change the audio track. Although this will take much longer, it'll allow the tracks to be played at roughly the same volume in any player, even if it doesn't support RG.

Adjusting Flac Volume?

Reply #4
You can use ReplayGain to permanently change the audio track. Although this will take much longer, it'll allow the tracks to be played at roughly the same volume in any player, even if it doesn't support RG.

Well that makes it worth a look into. Time to do the research.

In truth I get/make Flac at such an alarmingly slow rate that Deciding whether an album needs adjusting could be done over a lovely cup of tea only on Thursdays. So I wouldn't mind putting 5-6 of them through a process to get those specifically poor albums up to par.

Worst example of too low overall volume is the Sneakers OST- Moderation: REMOVED

Compared to a track that's more an average volume - Moderation: REMOVED

Actually, how do I apply such a permanent edit? Is there some frontend I need to set up a command line for or does the winamp Sendto>ReplayGain scanning and tagging do the trick?

Adjusting Flac Volume?

Reply #5
What I would do in foobar2000 is to first scan ReplayGain data (album or track... usually it's per album) of the tracks.(just drag the tracks into the foobar2000 playlist, right click them, and then click Scan ReplayGain data. If you are doing it by album, select all the tracks in one album and do the album RG scan.) And then I could convert them to flac again (though with RG permanently applied). Just select them all, right click, click Convert -> ...

On the convert window, on Output Format, select FLAC.
Output path: Select a folder to output to, but not the same folder as the original tracks.
Output files: 'Convert each track to an individual file' name format set to: %filename%

And then under the Processing tab, tick the checkbox that says ReplayGain processing. Click the button that says ... and set Source Mode to album. Processing: Apply Gain. Click OK. Click OK again, and converting will begin.