Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAE-EAC: Overread Question (Read 3587 times) previous topic - next topic

DAE-EAC: Overread Question

DAE, from what I read, uses EAC to see if the drive supports overread.  How accurate is EAC's detection?  Does anyone know how it is calculated?  Does it simply read from lead-in / lead-out, and if it gets non-zero it says "support overread"?

Reason I ask is because I tested a bunch of my DVD/CD Drives in the past *using random audio cds* and EAC said one was "Overread: Lead-In and Lead-out".  So I was using that one mainly for my dumping.  That computer konked out and a few months later I needed to dump something else.  So I moved the drive to a new computer and re-set up EAC.  EAC now says "Overread: Lead-In Only".

I recently moved and only brought with me 1 audio cd for testing, so unable to try different audio cd's right now.  So wanted to know if there are any pre-requisites to using EAC "Detect Overread" ability?  Aka CD with data in lead-in/lead-out kind of thing?  Or it shouldn't matter?

Or maybe was I simply mistaken about it being "Overread: Lead-In and Lead-Out" in the past *too much party that day hehe*?

Also I see DAE says to use a CD from this list to calculate overread: http://www.daefeatures.co.uk/files/cd_reference_list.txt
Is this because those CD's are confirmed to have data in the lead-in lead-out?  Or this list is just what is in EAC database for getting offset correction; aka pre-req is not having data in lead-in lead-out.

Thanks

Reply #1
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...p#Drive_Options

Overread Lead-In and Lead-Out : Press the button that says "Detect read sample offset correction". Enable this setting if it says your drive can overread from both the Lead-In and Lead-Out or if it says Lead-Out and your offset correction is positive or if it says Lead-In and your offset correction is negative. Otherwise disable it.

This is all you need to know in order to configure this setting correctly.

Reply #2
Overread Lead-In and Lead-Out : Press the button that says "Detect read sample offset correction". Enable this setting if it says your drive can overread from both the Lead-In and Lead-Out or if it says Lead-Out and your offset correction is positive or if it says Lead-In and your offset correction is negative. Otherwise disable it.

This is all you need to know in order to configure this setting correctly.

I wasn't trying to set EAC per-say, or really even concerned about the checkbox.  My question pertains only to the detection portion .  I am curious how it is able to tell if a drive supports lead-in/lead-out on CD's that do not have data in the lead in or lead out?  If there are any pre-req's on the testing CD to do the test correctly?

If what you say is true, and I did bring up the checkbox to set correctly, what do I put in the case where 1 CD/Com says "Overread: Lead-In Only" for the drive, and another CD/Com says "Overread: Lead-In and Lead-Out" for the same Drive?  Switching a computer shouldn't affect the results, so I'm guessing it's the CD which is affecting it.  So I wanted to try and comprehend how it can tell if a drive supports lead-out overreading if no data is in the lead-out, or better understand the test requirements.

Reply #4
I have never put any automatic detection of overread because it seems disc specific with some drives (ie some drives which cannot overread will happily pretend they can and return 0000's when there is 0000's in the audio data, but if there is actual audio data they seem to fail).