Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_uftS (Read 84169 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_uftS

foo_ufts.zip (14kB)

In order to completely replace Winamp, I decided I needed a similarly sized window with the basic playback controls and a real seek bar.  So I whipped up a little component that, I think, does a pretty good job as a lightweight Foobar interface. 

Here is the readme from the .zip file.  Enjoy!

foo_uftS
Version 1.0 - April 19, 2003
ufts@argz.com

foo_uftS is a simple front-end graphical user interface for Foobar2000.  The interface should be self-explanitory, but here are a few notes:

* The seek bar can be operated either with the mouse or the left/right cursor keys.

* The volume can be operated with the mouse, the mouse wheel, or the up/down cursor and +/- keys.

* Playback can be paused with the spacebar.

* The "fb2k" button shows/hides the Foobar2000 window.  Holding the control key and clicking "fb2k" will cause Foobar2000 to exit.  If the Foobar2000 window is hidden when it exits, it will still be hidden the next time you run Foobar2000.

* The foo_uftS window can be minimized or closed.  Select "foo_uftS" under Foobar2000's Components menu to display the foo_uftS dialog.

* A shortcut key can be assigned to display the foo_uftS window.  Go to Foobar2000 Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts and add a shortcut for "Show foo_uftS".  Making this a global shortcut is helpful, because it makes it easy to display the foo_uftS window from anywhere in Windows.

* You can add files to the playlist by dragging and dropping them on the foo_uftS window.  Directories dropped on the foo_uftS will be recursed and all files added.

Note: foo_uftS requires Foobar2000 0.6beta22 or later.

Edit: fixed URL - thanks voltron.

foo_uftS

Reply #2
When first running the plugin, the volume bar is all the way down.  It doesn't move to the correct volume until changing the volume.  (At which point it magically jumps all the way up, reflecting the correct volume.)

Looks pretty good.    You might want to consider adding some sort of "no song currently loaded" strings, though.  (Also, the button graphics are a tad on the fuzzy side.)

foo_uftS

Reply #3
When first running the plugin, the volume bar is all the way down.  It doesn't move to the correct volume until changing the volume.  (At which point it magically jumps all the way up, reflecting the correct volume.)

Looks pretty good.    You might want to consider adding some sort of "no song currently loaded" strings, though.  (Also, the button graphics are a tad on the fuzzy side.)

Can you reproduce the volume thing on a regular basis?  It should be updated as soon as the dialog is shown, and I'm not seeing it. 

One thing to note is that, in order to have enough resolution at normal listening volumes, the slider only covers -40dB - 0dB.  You can turn the volume lower with the keyboard or mouse wheel, but the slider won't reflect it.

foo_uftS

Reply #4
Very nice. Simple and very functional.  I have the Volume slider problem as well.  Seems that if you put it all the way over to the right and then shut down foobar, when you run it again it'll be all the way over to the left.  But if you have it at any other setting it'll remember it the next time you start foobar.

Any chance of being able to change the background color ?
Master of Fate. By Fate Mastered

foo_uftS

Reply #5
I have posted an update (v1.01) which might fix the volume thing, fixes the display when the player is stopped or paused, and doesn't have the white background.

I originally did the white background to match my blurry white buttons, but the dialog should now match your Windows color scheme.

Edit: I am able to reproduce the volume problem now, and 1.01 doesn't fix it.  I'll get it in the next version.

foo_uftS

Reply #6
Otherwise it's good now, but the buttons are still white:

foo_uftS

Reply #7
Otherwise it's good now, but the buttons are still white:

Yeah, you're stuck with white buttons.

The alternatives are text only buttons (which might be ok for most in the Foobar crowd!  ) or me adding a way to load the bitmaps externally, so you can customize them.  If you have a resource editor, you can edit the DLL and replace the graphics.

foo_uftS

Reply #8
Actually I am editing the graphics right now  but I just wanted to point this thing out.
Actually the text-only buttons would be cool

foo_uftS

Reply #9
It wont work well with unicode characters...

foo_uftS

Reply #10
Version 1.02 should take care of the volume problem.

I'll have to work on the Unicode issue.  It will probably just involve linking with the Unicode version of MFC, but I also have one instance of a char* that will need to be fixed.

foo_uftS

Reply #11
Aero, I love your thing!
Could I add some suggestions, pleeeeease
1) make settings for the plugin in Foobar
2) add Always On Top Feature
3) make smaller window (A single stripe is ideal
4) fix this: when I'm moving a slider, it sometimes accidently jumps forward and backward
5) fix buttons (I can make you any, even Aqua or XP-like, just ask
6) make single shortcut for show/hide
The main wish is to make it as small as possible. A tiny window with title, ans some controls would be great.

Thanks!!!!

foo_uftS

Reply #12
Aero, I love your thing!
Could I add some suggestions, pleeeeease
1) make settings for the plugin in Foobar
2) add Always On Top Feature
3) make smaller window (A single stripe is ideal
4) fix this: when I'm moving a slider, it sometimes accidently jumps forward and backward
5) fix buttons (I can make you any, even Aqua or XP-like, just ask
6) make single shortcut for show/hide
The main wish is to make it as small as possible. A tiny window with title, ans some controls would be great.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for your comments!

1. If there ever are any settings (possibly for the format strings for the window title, and text displays inside of the dialog), they'll go into Foobar's dialog.

2 & 3.  I was already planning something along these lines.  Probably just enable the maximize box, and have it toggle between normal and just the titlebar.  So you could put the dialog up in the corner of the screen and collapse it to just the titlebar.  Always on top isn't absolutely necessary, since you can assign a global shortcut to foo_uftS and it will always pop to the top, but I'll consider it.

4.  Foobar can be very slow at seeking, so that is probably what you are seeing.  I have often seen this problem when playing files over a wireless connection.  I might be able to work around it, but it is basically a Foobar problem - having a realtime seek bar just points out the issue.  Once the file is fully buffered (or at least the section to which you are seeking), the problem should go away.

5. I will likely add the ability to load the button graphics from a file (and if no file is available, just do text).  So you'll be able to replace the graphics at will.

6. I was already thinking about this as well.  I will leave the current shortcut (show always) and add the show/hide toggle.

foo_uftS

Reply #13
Volume thing fixed. 

foo_uftS

Reply #14
Version 1.03 is now available.

1.03 adds the following:

* The button graphics are now customizable.  They are loaded as BMP images from the foo_uftS directory - see the readme file for more info.  If a graphic isn't available, a text button is displayed instead.

* Windowshade mode - double clicking on the titlebar or on the maximize button will toggle between the normal window and a titlebar only mode.

* A "Toggle foo_uftS" window shortcut.

foo_uftS

Reply #15
Best interface by far. Great work man. Keep perfecting it.

foo_uftS

Reply #16
I'm really liking this plugin. This UI is simple and effective. Extremely bomb (good thing).

ANy possibility of adding play control buttons on titlebar effectively duplicating Winamp's Winshade mode? I would love to just keep the plugin on the top of the screen and have full control still.

This plugin is simply awesome. Thanks aero.

foo_uftS

Reply #17
nice UI

Feature requests:
-An optional playlist.
- Use webdings for the buttons, it's nicer and more resource friendly than bitmaps. (the buttons are
3 - Previous
4 - Play
5 - Eject
7 - Rewind
8 - Forward
: -  Fast Forward
; - Pause,
< - Stop
also you wouldn't have to worry about transparencies)

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

foo_uftS

Reply #18
I use your plugin
ervey thing is ok!!

but i found a bug
Could you fix bug with chinese font to dispay?
I can't display chinese font correct !!   

think

foo_uftS

Reply #19
-An optional playlist.

errr... isn't the playlist supposed to be foobar's main window ?

foo_uftS

Reply #20
-An optional playlist.

well the idea is to leave the main UI behind and use only utfS
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

foo_uftS

Reply #21
interface is to big as allready mentioned, config is necessary to be able to show only the stuff one would like to see imho,
buttons should be placed in the same order as in fb2k or make that configurable (which button and in what order that is)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

foo_uftS

Reply #22
Very nice UI - thanks you!

One small problem - now when "Minimize to system tray" is set in preferences and I minimise the uftS window it is minimised in the task bar, not in the tray. Well I suppose this is not a bug - it could be the nature of the plugin or something. But it would be nice (for me) if you could force it to minimise in the tray.
mobilegalaxy.co.uk

foo_uftS

Reply #23
I also agree that the buttons should be placed in the same order as foobar.

And a bug report:
When shuffle is on, pressing the "next" button selects a random track, rather than moving on to the next track in the playlist.  I suppose that this might be intended behavior, but instead, I'd suggest adding a random button (%) instead of breaking the standard (rather, expected) behavior.

foo_uftS

Reply #24
-An optional playlist.

well the idea is to leave the main UI behind and use only utfS

Actually, the best idea would be to find away to fully integrate the UI into the main window itself. "Snap to Main window" would be a great option to have in the meantime, cuz I'm sure its not easy to create a UI that could seamlessly integrate into the the main window.

BTW, Aero, could you have the "jump time" be displayed in the UI as well so we can jump to an exact time?