IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
midi plugin clipping with loud midis, is there a way to turn the volume down?
raygrote
post Nov 26 2010, 21:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52552

Hi,
I haven't been using Foobar for very long, just got back into it after having moved to Winamp, now I plan to use both.
The midi plugin is good, I'm using it with some soundfonts I have, but with loud midis it clips terribly. Turning the volume down in Foobar doesn't help, while the volume is quieter, it still distorts. The midi is actually very loud, that's probably why.
I've tried the exact same midis with the exact same soundfonts in other players like xM Play. There's no clipping, actually the volume could be a lot louder than it is without any trouble, but it sounds dry. With Fluid Synth, I can hear the effects all right, but the whole thing just sounds like a badly compressed, clipping mess. Is there any way to turn the volume down?
Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kode54
post Nov 27 2010, 19:53
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

Activate the Advanced Limiter DSP. All synthesizers except for the Emu de MIDI mode mix in floating point, so there is no clipping as long as you use such a DSP, or use floating point output in Windows 7.
+Quote Post
raygrote
post Nov 27 2010, 21:34
Post #3

Member No.: 52552

Hi,
I tried the advanced limiter thing, while it did prevent the distortion it made everything sound like we were having a loudness war competition. So I tried the equalizer, I adjusted all the bands by the same amount, and everything's fine!
Since I probably won't be using Foobar for most other filetypes, I think this will work pretty well. Perhaps a later version of the midi plugin can have its own volume control? I wonder if the plugin developer is on this forum.
thanks again for the suggestion. It's nice to know that dsp plugins can help with that sort of thing.
+Quote Post
tpijag
post Nov 27 2010, 22:07
Post #4

Member No.: 53637

^^^^I believe you are speaking to him
+Quote Post
kode54
post Nov 28 2010, 02:45
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

Using the preamp slider for tracks with no ReplayGain information will also work.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:56