Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

hybrid coding mode
Pixar
post Dec 16 2010, 11:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86567

Hello all =)
I tested a hybrid coding mode (the best-miqhhb5) ...
I was delighted with the highest quality.
Programs designed for the detection of differences in sound do not detect a difference lossy and lossless.

What removes from the sound?
I did not find any similarity with other lossy codecs))
How have you achieved such excellent results? blink.gif

This post has been edited by Pixar: Dec 16 2010, 11:57
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bryant
post Dec 16 2010, 16:09
Post #2

WavPack Developer

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 900

The hybrid coding mode just adds broad spectrum quantization noise during encoding, and this is very similar to the the natural noise floor of most recordings. For the command line you mention, this added noise would be very low level, and might even be below the noise floor of the recording. This would be almost impossible to detect with any program (mush less hear), and especially for programs that are looking specifically for the kind of things that regular lossy codecs do (like breaking up the audio into separate frequency bins, which WavPack hybrid never does).

If you tried a lower bitrate with the hybrid mode (like -b3, which gives about 270 kbps) then you might be able to hear noise in some music (especially very tonal or electronic music) because at lower bitrates WavPack hybrid will generally not do as well as regular lossy codecs. However, because the only artifact is this smooth added noise, those detection programs might still fail even though the degradation is audible.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 19:49