Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Entry Level Books (Read 3324 times) previous topic - next topic

Entry Level Books

Recently I have become highly interested in audio. I do care about the quality of my music, and I would like to learn more. I have checked the FAQ page for some references which would be suitable for a newbie like myself. However, I noticed that FAQ page hasn't been updated for a while, and that is why I would like to ask for your suggestions about some entry level books for a music enthusiast who wants to know more about audio. It maybe include some simple technical stuff as well. Thanks!

- Pandemonium

Entry Level Books

Reply #1
I have a book that you might find interesting, but I'll have to find it when I get home 'cause I can't remember the title or author. 

What kinds of things are you interested in learning?  How musical instruments work?  Human perception of sound and the limits of human perception?  How sound recording & reproduction works?  How audio is stored digitally?  Some of the math involved?

Entry Level Books

Reply #2
The book I was thinking of is Physics And The Sound Of Music[/u].    Unfortunately, the current edition is much more expensive than the older paperback version that I bought.  It's a nice little book, but I wouldn't pay $150 for it.

P.S.
Used copies of the older paperback version are available for under $10.  At that price, it's worth it if the "table of contents" looks interesting to you.

Entry Level Books

Reply #3
Try out Pohlmann's: Principles of Digital Audio 6th Edition. Back in the day everyone around here loved it and it still is a "fan" favorite  . A newer edition was just recently published at the end of last year. You can probably find used copies on Amazon or Valore Books! It's a textbook and very thorough one that's easier to read and does not go into grueling technical details. Keep in mind though there are books like that if you are really interested later on! Take care. 
budding I.T professional

Entry Level Books

Reply #4
Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked those, and they seem to be nice ones to begin with. I found a couple more that seems to be at my newbie level. I will be getting busy with those.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Entry Level Books

Reply #5
Bob McCARTHY "SOUND SYSTEMS: DESIGN AND OPTIMIZATION"

downloadable from the Net.