Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #9] SACD ripping made possible! (Read 27551 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #9] SACD ripping made possible!

SACD ripping possible? Yes! I didn't want a hardware HDMI -> PCM converter but wanted a fast DSD/DST ripping solution..

As I found out the Playstation 3 is actually able to RAW read SACDs. And after making some raw dumps of my SACDs on my Linux PS3 I knew it could be done and was ready to really dive into this. I quickly found out that most of the SACDs do not contain the UDF filesystem (so cannot be mounted) but contains several tables of content pointing to the master DST/DSD file (2 or multi channel master file).

For now I've reverse engineered all the necessary information from these TOCs and I've written a program which outputs this information (my program directly accepts the bluray /dev/sr0 device). I've also made a simple test which dumps the tracks from the master to the Philips DSDIFF 1.5 spec format. (I'll make this code including DST conversion available soon..).

In case you are interested, here is my todo:
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/todo

ScarletBook information:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/wiki/ScarletBook

And project page:
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com

btw. I'm not in favor of ripping and distributing.. I'm also an audiophile with Sonus Faber Amatis, NBS cables and Mark Levinson equipment. And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.

- Mr Wicked

Reply #1
And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.
Many thanks. I knew it was worth it to spend for the SACD PS3 version. I knew it.

Reply #2
And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.
Many thanks. I knew it was worth it to spend for the SACD PS3 version. I knew it.

Yes, it will be quite an elegant method, the PS3 method! No linux will be needed soon, it will be a native signed PS3 app. (so you don't even need to jailbreak your PS3, let alone dongrade it for linux which is a very full-on process to do, if you have firmware later than 3.15!).

We're also working on a method using the common computer DVD drive (see some file samples for proof here), which should be as or almost as, elegant as the PS3 method - but much more importantly, universal and incredibly accessible instead of requiring an old SACD model PS3.

Reply #3
btw. I'm not in favor of ripping and distributing.. I'm also an audiophile with Sonus Faber Amatis, NBS cables and Mark Levinson equipment. And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.

- Mr Wicked

Seriously?

An audiophool that believes in $8000 audio cables?

Reply #4
We're also working on a method using the common computer DVD drive (see some file samples for proof here), which should be as or almost as, elegant as the PS3 method - but much more importantly, universal and incredibly accessible instead of requiring an old SACD model PS3.

You are serious, are you?? This would be great, I´d love something like this. I own so many SACDs... but when will it be ready for testing? Any hints?
marlene-d.blogspot.com

Reply #5

You are serious, are you?? This would be great, I´d love something like this. I own so many SACDs... but when will it be ready for testing? Any hints?
hope by end of this week. either way it's only a matter of time.

Reply #6
I'm also an audiophile with Sonus Faber Amatis, NBS cables and Mark Levinson equipment. And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.

Hmm, maybe you are going to surprise me - but somehow I doubt that someone who writes stuff like that could have the intellectual capacity required for coding a SACD ripper...

Reply #7
Hmm, maybe you are going to surprise me - but somehow I doubt that someone who writes stuff like that could have the intellectual capacity required for coding a SACD ripper...

You will get a pleasant surprise. Mr_Wicked is a freaking guru at coding. He is very talented.

Reply #8
Moin,

ripping my SACDs made possible? For real? Wow... I'll follow your progress for sure.

Have fun coding^^

CU, Clobon

Reply #9
This is most interesting, and one wonders if the arrival of this Korg multitrack DSD workstation might not allow for some cool stuff to finally happen with this format.
floating in liquid gardens in Arizona new red sand

Reply #10
Sounds fantastic, Mr_wicked. Especially the common computer version, as I don't have a PS3.

Reply #11
Okay, so, as far as I understand it, the SACD layer can be read by any DVD drive, but cannot be descrambled, is that so?
Also, isn't there some sort of stream compression involved? How are these issues to be resolved by the upcoming "common DVD drive" version? Will it just store the scrambled stream to the file? In other words, what can one actually do with the ripped DSD stream?

Reply #12
Okay, so, as far as I understand it, the SACD layer can be read by any DVD drive, but cannot be descrambled, is that so?
Also, isn't there some sort of stream compression involved? How are these issues to be resolved by the upcoming "common DVD drive" version? Will it just store the scrambled stream to the file? In other words, what can one actually do with the ripped DSD stream?

The lossless stream compression, known as DST, is well-defined in the MPEG-4 standard and there exists a "reference" decoder for it, so that's not an issue.  The main issue is obviously the encryption.

Reply #13
Any updates regarding this matter?

Reply #14
Wow, mods are all over people like flies on stink about TOS 8, but what about 9?

Reply #15
Wow, mods are all over people like flies on stink about TOS 8, but what about 9?

The RIAA says you can't copy your audio CDs, compressed or lossless onto your HDD. I don't see the point of this forum if the law is to be enforced down to the letter.

Reply #16
RIAA doesn't write the laws, at least not in my country. I can make a copy of a CD or DVD for my personal usage as long as I own the original CD or DVD.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #17
The RIAA says you can't copy your audio CDs, compressed or lossless onto your HDD. I don't see the point of this forum if the law is to be enforced down to the letter.

This is an international forum and in all sane countries, copying CDs and DVDs is legal for one's personal purposes. Crazy US laws don't matter in the rest of the world, fortunately.

Reply #18

Since when was this a US only forum?

Reply #19
I think the distinction is not if it's legal or not to make a copy, but instead if you need to circumvent a copy protection method to create that copy. That's why audio CD ripping talk is perfectly acceptable here, but not DVDs or blu-rays.

So, I think DonP's objection is valid, but I myself really don't mind.

Reply #20
Any updates regarding this matter?

Sell since that project linked the original post hasn't been updated since the original post was made, I think not.

Reply #21
An update sent to me today on SACD cracking [i.e. ripping]: from the ps3 guy, the SACD copying saviour [oh yeah...the OP of this thread]:

"Let me tell you guys where I am right now.. The current status is that I can finally raw read SACDs from GameOS. Surprisingly this was the biggest hurdle until now (got this working last week!!), it turned out I had to re-authenticate the drive in order to allow disc access. But these functions (two lines of code) were hidden very deep in the shell and seemed completely unrelated to disc access , but I found them ..

So reading and writing is finally working:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/sourc...d_lv2_storage.c

Another thing I've been reversing is the communication with the SacModule (the module that authenticates the drive in order to decrypt the SACD, and also deals with the decryption of the revocation table (if the disc has one)):
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/sourc.../sac_accessor.c

So at this point authentication seems to work, and the decryption process starts without errors. But... the "decrypted" data is wrong (problem occured yesterday, so still, very fresh..). In other words the drive is "decrypting" the data, but the key that the drive is using seems to be wrong.. so that's going to be the last hurdle.. and I hope that's not going to take the amount of time that I had to spend on drive authentication..!

btw. to speed up the process I've tried to contact others but I don't get any response or useful help from anyone..

but.., I think you know by now I'm very persistent.. "

So...it's looking hopeful, and if/once it is completed, it will be given to us in what he at one point said is probably easy for him to just make it a natively signed PS3 app [this being possible thanks to the master signing key leaked by geohot] - not some complicated nighmare downgrading linux method. Additionally, he'll probably help to port the ripping code to windows so that you can connect the PS3 BD drive [easily buyable on ebay, from people's broken down PS3s where they sell the parts], to your computer, and rip it in windows that way. just then he said about this: "porting the authentication module is going to be tough though. Emulating an SPU and running the SacModule in there is probably your best bet. But then again, the PS3 is superior as it has all that in there..". and who knows what else will happen, once the initial method [just using ps3] is fully working and shared.