Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hardly describable volume issue (Read 7229 times) previous topic - next topic

Hardly describable volume issue

Hello,

I'm observing some audio artifact during playback of some kinds of content, especially with strong bass range. The other frequency ranges are being like suppressed during bass in effect (for ex. expressive drums), resulting in periodic weakening and amplifying back the mid and high range. Firstly thought that's a speakers problem but the same artifact I can hear on internal speakers too. Especially noticeable on internet radios with high bass boost.
Looks like only foobar issue as I don't encounter the volume irresolution with other players (tried KMPlayer for movie with equalizer enabled).

Using foo equalizer DSP with emphassized bass and treble, no other DSPs. Seems the artifact fades out with no DSP, but I can't be without equalizer as the basic sound is very flat for me.

My equalizer preset here:

This is used Audio card: Realtek HD Audio.
Audio card setting: Audio model(2.0), Audio effects: environment - none, equalizer(Rock), default audio format 24/48kHz.

Using this speakers model: Genius SP-HF 1800A 2.0.

Thankful for any workaround solving this issue, hopefully my desription identifies the issue well.

Reply #1
foobar2000 1.x + Vista/Win7 + DirectSound output?

workaround#1: File->Preferences->Playback. Set preamp to -20 dB
workaround#2: add Advanced Limiter to the end of DSP chain.

Reply #2
I suspect it’s because your EQ contains many amplified frequency bands, which are likely to lead to clipping, and perhaps this is being limited/compressed at some point along the signal chain. Does “Auto level” alleviate the problem? I could be totally wrong.

Reply #3
Third Workaround: Click "Auto level"

Reply #4
In addition to the above tips, I notice that you've set your audio card equalizer to "Rock." I would guess that also boosts bass, probably magnifying your foobar settings. Try turning that off.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #5
Hello,

I'm observing some audio artifact during playback of some kinds of content, especially with strong bass range. The other frequency ranges are being like suppressed during bass in effect (for ex. expressive drums), resulting in periodic weakening and amplifying back the mid and high range. Firstly thought that's a speakers problem but the same artifact I can hear on internal speakers too. Especially noticeable on internet radios with high bass boost.
Looks like only foobar issue as I don't encounter the volume irresolution with other players (tried KMPlayer for movie with equalizer enabled).

Using foo equalizer DSP with emphassized bass and treble, no other DSPs. Seems the artifact fades out with no DSP, but I can't be without equalizer as the basic sound is very flat for me.

My equalizer preset here:

This is used Audio card: Realtek HD Audio.
Audio card setting: Audio model(2.0), Audio effects: environment - none, equalizer(Rock), default audio format 24/48kHz.

Using this speakers model: Genius SP-HF 1800A 2.0.

Thankful for any workaround solving this issue, hopefully my desription identifies the issue well.

Of course there's going to be some artifacts, look at your curve... never have anything above 0db, don't boost the sound past 0 because it will just distort, instead, move the entire waveform if you will down so that your peaks are zeroed. That's what I do. Also don't be overbearing with your curve... find a happy medium. My eq curve in foobar is completely zeroed except for 20khz which is at -1 db just because I think the treble from my cheap surround system sounds fake...

Reply #6
This is exactly why there is an Auto level button, to reduce the entire curve so the highest level is +/- 0 dB.

Reply #7
Okay thanks for all suggestions, I'll give a try to autolevel.

Reply #8
Wouldn't reducing the amp gain have the same effect as the proposed workarounds?

Reply #9
Wouldn't reducing the amp gain have the same effect as the proposed workarounds?

The amp gain comes after the Windows normalizer, so no, it cannot have the same effect.