Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SimPlaylist Manager (foo_simplaylist_manager) (Read 31561 times) previous topic - next topic

SimPlaylist Manager (foo_simplaylist_manager)

This new component is a replacement for the original playlist manager. I mainly created it to get the same look and feel as SimPlaylist, including smooth scrolling and automatic column resizing to use the full width.

SimPlaylist Manager adds columns for playback icons, autoplaylist status, and additional statistics known from the Facets component. Playlist sorting functions are available from the context menu. Additional features such as grouping may be added later.

Download

1.0 final
  • Automatically switch playlists on drag and drop.
  • Transparent mouse selection rectangle.
  • Drag and drop displays image of selected items.
1.0 beta 4:
  • Bug: Enter does not activate the focused playlist.
  • Glitch: Pasting multiple playlists at once opens and closes rename box for each one.
1.0 beta 3:
  • Glitch: Improved scrolling and edit box behaviour when adding new playlists.
  • Compatibility: Changed keyboard shortcut handling, see the SimPlaylist topic for details.
  • Renamed "autoplaylist status" column to "playlist lock".
1.0 beta 2:

Reply #1
Bug: PL manager with scroll bar. Start deleting playlist to the point where scroll bar auto hide. Everything goes blank, though quick resizing get thing back. It seems to be no redraws there.
Awesome component nonetheless. Thanks!

Reply #2
I hope this question isn't too stupid but can I use the SimPlaylist Manager as a Popup window also with Columns UI?

The question arose after having read that it includes the same statistics as the Facets plugin which does not support CUI.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #3
Bug:  SimPlaylist Manager seems to change current selection (ui_selection_manager->get_selection) while drag&dropping playlist items.

More formal bug report follows:

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start drag of playlist items from a playlist
2. Hover drag over Sim playlist manager
-- at this point ui_selection_manager->get_selection is somehow changed --
3. Drop items to target (selection of ui_selection_manager still empty at drop the moment)

Expected:
ui_selection_manager->get_selection is not reset

Actual:
ui_selection_manager->get_selection is reset if the mouse curse is hovering over the sim playlist manager during the drap & drop operation.

Other notes:
The above behaviour does not occur with the standard playlist manager.

Well why does this matter? My queuecontents drag&drop operations will not queue the playlist items when the selection of ui_selection_manager is empty. Instead, the files are queued. The bug can be tested easily using foo_queuecontents: when the selection is reseted files are queued instead of the playlist items. I've also debugged my code to verify this is the actual issue.

Since the issue might be hard to grasp I made a screencast comparing Sim PlaylistManger with the standard one. It is available here http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cXheivbXQ

Reply #4
kerpondile: No offense intended, but that sounds like you are relying on undocumented behaviour to get the playlist selection, which makes your implementation rather fragile. If I understand your description correctly, your foo_queuecontents grabs data from the ui_selection_manager when it handles a drop operation. For me a more robust solution would be to use a drag&drop data format that describes the playlist position of the dragged items. Of course that would require cooperation from Peter and the authors of third-party playlist views. What is your opinion on that?

Reply #5
foosion:
Yes you hit the nail on the head with that one: it is very fragile but there was no other way to do it really.

I would certainly implement support for custom drag & drop data format if such would become available. It would certainly be the most clean way to implement the functionality. However, I think it is unlikely that the columns_ui playlist ui element developers will implement it but anyways it is better than nothing.

Reply #6
Where does this component save its settings? I can't find a foo_simplaylist_manager.dll.cfg

I had installed it and now I want to remove it. Please help.

Reply #7
Bug:  SimPlaylist Manager seems to change current selection (ui_selection_manager->get_selection) while drag&dropping playlist items.

Fixed for the next beta, thanks for the great report.

Where does this component save its settings? I can't find a foo_simplaylist_manager.dll.cfg

There are no global settings that would require a configuration file.

Settings of UI elements opened as popup windows are managed by the default UI.
So they are stored in foo_ui_std.dll.cfg, I guess, with all other DUI settings.

Reply #8
Is possible to eliminate default Playlist Manager from the "View" menu when use SimPlaylist Manager?
I think it is useless to be two elements with almost the same function.

Thank you.

Reply #9
So they are stored in foo_ui_std.dll.cfg, ...

Thank you. Columns in the format yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss (first added, last modified, last played and so on) seem not to be properly automatic resized on my system. After the installation I opened the SPM from the View menu and resized its window to 1193 x 690 pixel. I added one of these columns and it shows its content truncated (example: 2008-03-14 19:... is displayed). Closing and re-opening the SPM doesn't adjust this. Note: due to the high number of playlists my SPM has a vertical scroll bar.

Starting the SPM as a Popup window again and activating all columns top down from the menu: with the adding of the column "Lossless ratio" a horizontal scroll bar appears and the column "Playlist name" disappears (width is set to zero), whereas other columns absorb more width than they would need.

Default user interface, SimPlaylist Manager 1.0 beta 1, foobar2000 v1.1.6, XP SP3

Reply #10
Hey, first of all - great component! Lots of potential to do awesome stuff with the playlists..
I would LOVE to be able to have folders and separators, much like Firefoxs' bookmark manager.
I know a TreeView is a lot of implementation, but what do you think ?

Reply #11
rafib, a tree view has some side effects. One about foo_plorg you can see here in facets thread. Also the "next playlist" and "previous playlist" commands in foobar2000s main menu as well as in some third-party components like foo_scheduler can lead to irritation.

I have to second what auditorium said. I like that the simplaylist search doesn't have an extra mainmenu entriy but is called by the normal "search" command

Reply #12
(please merge into my post before)
Frank what do you think about an advanced option that switches between two modes: 1. simplaylist search/simplaylist has their own entries  in main menu or 2.  the commands "search" and "playlist manager" are related to the sim-implementation for ui-element as well as for standalone window.  Now both parts (sim playlist manager and search) are acting different  with the side effect that cui users can't use the simplaylist search.
It is maybe the wrong thread to ask but because of the topic the right occasion: Any chance to see a Sim Library Search? Would be great!

Another point: the autoplaylist column shows autoplaylist - what else? But it would be also useful to indicate other locked playlists like: read-only, podcatcher, last.fm radio and so on.

Reply #13
I have no idea what "sort by playing" should achieve. I really don't have any effect. I expected something like playing playlist will br moved at the top but i see nothing.

Reply #14
Columns in the format yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss (first added, last modified, last played and so on) seem not to be properly automatic resized on my system. (...)

Like in my other components, my idea of automatic column width adjustment is not to change the column sizes according to the displayed contents. Instead, columns are resized so that the full width of the UI element is used. When the element size changes, columns that typically display text of the same size, like statistics with their dates or numbers, remain unchanged if another column such as "name" can be resized instead.

Is possible to eliminate default Playlist Manager from the "View" menu when use SimPlaylist Manager?

While components can define their own actions for edit menu commands, removing or replacing entries in other menus is not possible.

Another point: the autoplaylist column shows autoplaylist - what else? But it would be also useful to indicate other locked playlists like: read-only, podcatcher, last.fm radio and so on.

Did not know those existed, should work now if their playlist locks return a name.

I have no idea what "sort by playing" should achieve. I really don't have any effect. I expected something like playing playlist will br moved at the top but i see nothing.

Implemented - it indeed didn't do anything before.

Reply #15
I found a little bug.

Because I'm exchanging my mp3-files with lossless flacs I'm sometimes controlling the lossless ratio of my media library. Since your Playlist Manager is able to do that, I'm taking this way.

But yesterday I compared the value with the built-in metadata viewer and this is, what I got: (Highlighted in sepia)

I found also that the "played" column displays a number which is about two lesser than the built-in metadata viewer.

[Edit:] Sorry! I meant it the other way round: The number in the "played" column is about two bigger.

Reply #16
Hi there, i want to add my selected track to add to a particular playlist using a shortcut key, say i press ctrl+q after selecting a track and it gets added to 'Instrumental favs" playlist without any confirmation dialogue box. Is it possible?

Reply #17
is there a way to add SimPlaylist as a columns UI panel? i'm looking for a playlist manager that allows me to select multiple playlists at the same time and have the contents displayed in playlist view, which the standard playlist switcher doesn't provide. it's possible in simplaylist but i can only invoke it as a pop-up window.

Reply #18
is there a way to add SimPlaylist as a columns UI panel? i'm looking for a playlist manager that allows me to select multiple playlists at the same time and have the contents displayed in playlist view, which the standard playlist switcher doesn't provide. it's possible in simplaylist but i can only invoke it as a pop-up window.

I would also love to know if there's a way to integrate this into columnsUI.  Also, is there a way to sort the listed playlists (by clicking on the column headings, for example)?
<3