Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Batch converting WMA/MP3 collection to AAC - KEEPING EMBEDDED ALBUM AR (Read 11645 times) previous topic - next topic

Batch converting WMA/MP3 collection to AAC - KEEPING EMBEDDED ALBUM AR

Been trying all evening to find something that can convert my entire collection of MP3 and WMA audio to AAC and keep the embedded album art, so far nothing has worked.

I would prefer something based of Nero's AAC encoder, as I hear it's the best.

can someone suggest a solution?  For a format that's trying to be the next MP3, I figured an easy way to migrate would be a must!

Thanks,

Reply #1
For a format that's trying to be the next MP3, I figured an easy way to migrate would be a must!

Generally one migrates by reripping CDs, or just ripping new CDs into the new format.  Converting from MP3 to AAC makes very little sense unless you have some peculiar circumstance.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Reply #2
For a format that's trying to be the next MP3, I figured an easy way to migrate would be a must!

Generally one migrates by reripping CDs, or just ripping new CDs into the new format.  Converting from MP3 to AAC makes very little sense unless you have some peculiar circumstance.  What are you trying to accomplish?

I have a vast collection of music 80% WMA, 20% MP3, and my new Android Honeycomb tablet doesn't support WMA!  I wanted to migrate the media to a ISO standard like AAC.  I realise that re-encoding is not ideal, and for some of my favorite stuff, I will re-rip from CD straight to AAC, but I need a quicky and dirty solution for everything else.

Reply #5
I have a vast collection of music 80% WMA, 20% MP3, and my new Android Honeycomb tablet doesn't support WMA!  I wanted to migrate the media to a ISO standard like AAC.  I realise that re-encoding is not ideal, and for some of my favorite stuff, I will re-rip from CD straight to AAC, but I need a quicky and dirty solution for everything else.

You could install a third party player that supports WMA.

Reply #6

You could install a third party player that supports WMA.

Yeh, but they are all pretty rubbish compared to the Honeycomb Google Music app.

Is there really no simple way to move from MP3 to AAC?

Reply #7
dMC R14. Works here.

Reply #8
iTunes?

If you're running Windows (?), it can read non-DRM'd WMA files, as well.

Regarding Nero being the "best" AAC encoder, Apple's latest encoder beat Nero in the recent 64 kbps listening test here on HA.  I participated in that test, and can personally attest that the QuickTime encoder did a very good job overall (although the new open-source CELT/Opus codec did even better, at least at that bitrate).

Whether or not that translates to higher bitrates isn't a given (I use LAME -V2 for all my CD rips, so I can't say), but it would seem to be a good indicator.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #9
Hmm, just found a post saying DBMC 14.1 had a album art bug and to use 14.2 beta, which looks like it might be working, going to set it chewing though my music and see what happens....  Fingers crossed!

Reply #10
Left it overnight and it chewed through 8000 songs on my quadcore PC and was finished this morning, so far it seems it made a rather impressive job of it, everything looks intact, I have 16 corrupt files to re-rip and there are 30-40 or so albums I want to re-rip direct to AAC to get the best quality.

I have a "play everywhere" solution now, that's not using the old and now very dated (but uber-compatible) MP3 and I have gotten rid of WMA for good...

Many thanks!

Reply #11
Just to follow this up, the only thing it missed, as copying my music ratings, fortunately I had M3U playlists for ratings, so what I managed to do, using a VERY excellent tool called ListFix

http://sourceforge.net/projects/listfix/

Is get it to fix all the M3U playlist references to the converted M4A files (from the old MP3/WMA filenames), and then use MediaMonkey displaying of the playlists, to re-add the correct ratings.

I think I have everything sorted now, a M4A collection, reripped all my A rated stuff, everything has consistent tags and album art...