Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting FLAC (Read 15277 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting FLAC

Howdy:

Could someone direct me to a tutorial explaing how to decode a singular large FLAC file into FLAC tracks using a cue sheet?

Apparently FLAC frontend will create a cue sheet from a FLAC rip but won't decode a FLAC rip with cue to individual tracks.

I found software called Cue Splitter taht sounded like it might be the one; however, the known bugs page states "MPC engine can cause a bit of jitter at the beginning/end of tracks"?????

Who wants "jitter"in their audio files?

I looked at Cue Tools but cannot find a tutorial that explains it's use to decode a large FLAC file...

Sorry if this has been done before, a search didn't come up with anything useful and I ran out of search term permutations and time...

I will give someone my first-born if they can help me with this (he's currently training for the next couch potato olympics)...

Thx

Splitting FLAC

Reply #1
Howdy:

Could someone direct me to a tutorial explaing how to decode a singular large FLAC file into FLAC tracks using a cue sheet?

Apparently FLAC frontend will create a cue sheet from a FLAC rip but won't decode a FLAC rip with cue to individual tracks.

I found software called Cue Splitter taht sounded like it might be the one; however, the known bugs page states "MPC engine can cause a bit of jitter at the beginning/end of tracks"?????

Who wants "jitter"in their audio files?

I looked at Cue Tools but cannot find a tutorial that explains it's use to decode a large FLAC file...

Sorry if this has been done before, a search didn't come up with anything useful and I ran out of search term permutations and time...

I will give someone my first-born if they can help me with this (he's currently training for the next couch potato olympics)...

Thx

[a href='index.php?showtopic=66233']CUETools[/a] isn't that hard. Follow link to that topic. Ask questions there if you can't find your answers in one of the existing posts.
korth

Splitting FLAC

Reply #2
CUETools is the way to go. I used to swear by Cue Splitter until I was shown exactly why it was the wrong program to use.

Splitting FLAC

Reply #3
MPC refers to Musepack, a lossy codec. I don't know anything about how it works, but what they seem to be saying is that if you have the CD image as a single Musepack file (like, image.mpc, not image.flac), and you use the splitter on it, then the Musepack-file-reading part of the splitter can't consistently find the track boundaries specified in the cue sheet; sometimes it'll cut a little ahead of the specified points, sometimes a little behind. If you're only dealing with FLAC images, then you have nothing to worry about.

I used to swear by Cue Splitter until I was shown exactly why it was the wrong program to use.

I'll bite. Why is it the wrong program to use? (I've never used it myself)

Splitting FLAC

Reply #4
I forget the exact details, but Cue Splitter breaks files in the middle of sectors, among other issues that I would classify under "not following standard procedure" with regards to creating the split tracks.

Here is the posting that contains all the relevant information, if you want further evidence: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=683198

Splitting FLAC

Reply #5
Thank you all for your comments...

I found this tutorial out there by accident LINK REMOVED

The author hasn't made one thing clear:

Would I be correct in assuming that the input folder he calls out in #1 contains the single FLAC file and the cue sheet for his input (is this correct)?

This would seem to be fairly painless if my assumption is correct...

Can anyone verify this?

Thx

Splitting FLAC

Reply #6
@Zarggg - Ah, I see what it's doing. It splits "without decoding/re-encoding the data stream" by splitting on the format's own boundaries. In this case, FLAC block boundaries (multiples of 4096 samples, usually). This is akin to what many MP3 splitters do. Interesting.

Splitting FLAC

Reply #7
Thank you all for your comments...

I found this tutorial out there by accident LINK REMOVED

The author hasn't made one thing clear:

Would I be correct in assuming that the input folder he calls out in #1 contains the single FLAC file and the cue sheet for his input (is this correct)?

This would seem to be fairly painless if my assumption is correct...

Can anyone verify this?

Thx

That's an older version of [a href='index.php?showtopic=66233']CUETools [link][/a]. Yes your folder could contain a single flac and cue (or any other supported format). The cue may need to be edited if it points to a wav instead of a flac. There is a Correct Filenames button in [a href='index.php?showtopic=66233']CUETools[/a] to do this. You'll just need to select the cue or drag'n'drop it. The rest of the settings are similar to the current version.
korth

Splitting FLAC

Reply #8

Treeant34,
This is Drag'n'Drop mode in latest version. The source folder contains CDImage.flac and CDImage.cue
korth