Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I want to generate AAC in MP4 on-the-fly; can't, due to MOOV atom? (Read 4022 times) previous topic - next topic

I want to generate AAC in MP4 on-the-fly; can't, due to MOOV atom?

In order to stream some PCM content, I would like to generate on-the-fly (without seek access to
the output file, one frame at the time) an aac payload in a mp4 container. I know I can do that with the
aac payload, but my problem is the mp4 container. Ffmpeg won't allow me to use stdin/stdout to
generate the mp4.

My understanding is that, the moov atom is the problem since it won't be available unless I've encoded
the whole file.

1) Is this an intrinsic limitation of the mp4 container?
2) Is there any way to "fake" the info in the moov atom?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Sorry about the confusing title, I can't edit it.

Reply #2
Sorry about the confusing title, I can't edit it.
You can always request this type of amendment via the Report button. I’ve changed the title according to my understanding of your questions; contact me by PM if you have an alternative one you’d prefer.

Reply #3
MP4 is not meant to be an "on-the-wire" streaming format.  There are other specs to stream AAC content, including ADTS and RTP.